staxs

so start with sr- X

I saw a lot of post about the sr-x mk3

but there is also sr-x
sr-x mk2
sr-x mk3 pro

can anybody comment on these sr-Xs?

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 7
i would suggest simply saving for the omega2mk1 or buy a better source. You'll get more bang for your buck that way. I started with the Sr-Xmk3 and I view the omega 2mk1 as an Sr-X mk3 with none of its flaws. The O1 has a driver defect which causes them to fail so that may not be the best use of your money either and the 007A supposedly does not sound as good as the mk1. If you can pick up a T2, do it. It's supposed to be the best stax amp.

If you are collecting, the Sr-X mk3 pro is very rare and supposed to sound very good, but the Sr-X mk3 normal is still a great phone.

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GearGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought the t1w & 404, quite happy with them, but "thanks" to head-FI consider some more
confused_face.gif
staxs

so start with sr- X

I saw a lot of post about the sr-x mk3

but there is also sr-x
sr-x mk2
sr-x mk3 pro

can anybody comment on these sr-Xs?

some mentioned ,the sr-x(not sure with one) is similar to the sound of K1000?

if possible maybe compare with 404 (or lambda signature)

just want to be ready when the gears shows up in auction!

Since the not-so-good 404 sounds amazing for me , I am seeking new/old gears from stax, for that I can not spare 2000 usd for a source , my source is currently as hi-fi as i could go for the time being(just a echo mone 24) ,and the amp is good, unless the omega 1 with the t2 in a super good price range,which means I should not just go and grab a O2 ,I know the stax phones before 1994 is very much different from the current ones, but the O2 is certainly only 2nd to the O1 ,and I am not only out there for a generally better one than my current 404 , just want to collect some more characteristic staxs.
I would keep hunting for old-good stax phones (not very much into amp , that is something people could always make better)

SRΣ pro & the old lambda pro will be in my hunting list for sure , just won the lambda signature! still wondering if I should pick up one of sr-Xs or they are all very different(that means to buy all of them ,maybe?)

I am in Japan , which I guess makes it easier to collect them, is there any other phone I should keep an eye on?

Cheers

GearGeek

You might want to try the Sigma, either low or high bias. These may be more costly than the SRXIII especially the high bias. The SRXIII is a fun phone but it gets tiring because of its restricted bass. The SRXIII pro is very hard to find and I suspect any one to show up will spark a bidding war.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 7
404 with t1 is already the best sounding current stax setup me thinks, the other ones sound boring as hell. if you want to try the older sr-x which has more soul, you will have to invest in a good speaker amp. you should just upgrade your source.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 7
The SR-X is very revealing and unforgiving so I wouldn't recommend it for a mediocre source, also for many it is far from being comfortable. I suggest to try other Lambdas and choose one of them which suits your personal taste best, then you can start looking into other Stax as well.

The Sigma which can be similar to the K1000 in terms of design, but they sound very different and they are more power hungry, the T1W might struggle a bit here. There is a Sigma Pro on Yahoo Japan at the moment, but that is even harder to drive than the normal Sigma so I wouldn't recommend to use it with the T1W.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 7
First off, one thing to remeber about the SR-X, they are professional monitoring headphones so many have had a rough life and been abused. That's the reason the drivers are far more likely to fail then with most other Stax headphones.

I've never heard the SR-X Mk1 since they are pretty rare. There is one on Y!JP now but I'm done buying these old, fragile headphones. The Mk2 uses the SR-3 drivers and isn't a bad headphone but rather fragile and most have had a rough life. The driver is a bad match to the housing so I'd rather have the SR-3 instead. There are volumes written here about the Mk3 normal bias so no reason to add to that but the Mk3 Pro is certainly the best of the bunch. Original sets are almost impossible to find so a few of us have made our own with salvaged Gamma Pro drivers.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all your help~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back