The State of Personal Audio - Discussion & Competition!
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 18
  • What do you consider the biggest developments in personal/portable audio in the past 5-10 years and why?
    • ​This would by far have to be the astounding leap in wireless quaity. Rather you consider bluetooth, wifi, or ultraviolet as your means of communication the quality increase even over the last 3 years let alone 10 is absolutely astounding. What more is I can't wait to see what'll come in the next 5 years.
  • What role do you think audiophile communities, such as Head-Fi, have in the current portable audio market?
    • ​A couple roles actually. Firstly it steps up the game where companies will have to produce quality products for a (usually) reasonable price for the community as a whole will most certainly  tear them down if they aren't up to par. This is obviously bad for business so companies. in large parts anyway, go the extra mile to ensure they're producing quality product. 
    • Secondly is that this community bringing the willingness of people to spend more and more money on audio products is also drastically driving prices up. Now, I'm sure a $55k headphone system sounds breathtaking as does a $4k headphone but these aren't being produced in limited quantities to justify their premium. 
  • Where do you see the portable audio market going in the next 5-10 years?
    • ​ I see portable audio digressing back to what it was a few years ago with just people carrying a single all in one music player. However these players will be built a little thicker than the Ipods for they'll have respectably powerful amps. that could drive home units, and dacs that are a black as midnight. Personal audio has been driving the market more and more and companies are seeing that. Why else do you think they're so many mobile friendly hifi products now? So like the all in ones are growing is steam in the home market, as will it in the mobile market.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 18
Thanks to everyone who dropped in with a reply - we decided that drawing a winner at random was the most fair way to determine who would win the T20i Black as everyone's contribution has been so valuable.

Delighted to announce the winner is...

HiFiChris!

Chris - be sure to PM us your address so we can ship your prize.

We'll be sure to flag when the article goes live - looking forward to doing the next rewrite now we have lots of new input.

Also - please keep an eye on your PMs! If we want to use a direct quote, we may drop you a message to check you're cool with it and ask whether you'd be up for allowing us to use your real name.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back