The Price is Right - DAC edition - aka the dumbest comparison yet
Mar 17, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #16 of 29
I did something similar! I had a May, DAVE, and SMSL SU-10 in the house all at the same time. For me it was May > DAVE >> SU-10. May was consistently preferable vs the DAVE -- the imaging and separation is incredible. And while the SU-10 was fine, it just wasn't in the same league as the others.

I tried the DCS units at CanJam two years running and wasn't a fan... but they were always going through DCS amps which I've also always found very, very polite. A $30k DCS stack sounded closer to the SU-10 + a Burson Amp than it did to a May + Bliss. A Susvara on the Bartok was actually pretty terrible.

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 29
Try to feed May with M-scaler via one BNC cable. You’ll just need to set the M-Sacler’s upsampling setting lower.
I can’t seem to make it work. It must be something in the setup but I haven’t figured it out yet.

image.jpg

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 29
57E8E11B-272F-4BD0-B4E3-7DC594730B9A.jpeg

D1BC5CF9-F15C-45E4-92DE-91A91E71D6EA.jpeg

I’ve got the May recognizing a signal from the mscaler but no output from the May?!? I tried two different amps to make sure. I’m using my xlr connectors as always. Maybe I’ll try the rca.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 29
image.jpg

I got it to work with these settings.

It’s just been a few minutes but this sounds GOOD!!!

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 29
Am I going nuts or is the separation and soundstage even better than ever?!?

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 29
I guess there’s no free lunch. After listening some more it’s pretty obvious that the sound stage is bigger but it also takes away the vocals from being front and center. It’s not as organic and live. Very interesting. I suppose it depends what you like better. Thanks for suggesting it.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 29
Well, I’ve done another round of listening and as good as the Lina is, I think I prefer my system with the aurender streamer and May dac.

If I had the sum it up, the music just sounds special and more engaging with my original setup. The oversampling using the m-scaler is an interesting change and for some songs or type of music may be great but for music with vocals, I prefer the May alone in NOS.

I have a lot of hours on my May, so maybe I’ve become accustomed to a certain sound but for me with this setup the Lina is just not worth double the cost versus the May as a dac for me.

I will likely see if headphones.com will take them back as a return minus whatever restocking fee they have and I’ll do more research on what other dac I should consider- if any.

Get your dirt cheap Topping dac and amp here. 😁😁😁
image.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 29
Well, I’ve done another round of listening and as good as the Lina is, I think I prefer my system with the aurender streamer and May dac.

If I had the sum it up, the music just sounds special and more engaging with my original setup. The oversampling using the m-scaler is an interesting change and for some songs or type of music may be great but for music with vocals, I prefer the May alone in NOS.

I have a lot of hours on my May, so maybe I’ve become accustomed to a certain sound but for me with this setup the Lina is just not worth double the cost versus the May as a dac for me.

I will likely see if headphones.com will take them back as a return minus whatever restocking fee they have and I’ll do more research on what other dac I should consider- if any.

I think you are making the right decision. I honestly have not seen anyone here that used Aurender with May. My only experience with May was USB on OS (I believe) and I was not impressed. Your result is very helpful for me. I use an Emm Labs streamer with an NOS R2R also with great results.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #24 of 29
I did something similar! I had a May, DAVE, and SMSL SU-10 in the house all at the same time. For me it was May > DAVE >> SU-10. May was consistently preferable vs the DAVE -- the imaging and separation is incredible. And while the SU-10 was fine, it just wasn't in the same league as the others.

I tried the DCS units at CanJam two years running and wasn't a fan... but they were always going through DCS amps which I've also always found very, very polite. A $30k DCS stack sounded closer to the SU-10 + a Burson Amp than it did to a May + Bliss. A Susvara on the Bartok was actually pretty terrible.
Its chord dave n holo may right?

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 29
I guess there’s no free lunch. After listening some more it’s pretty obvious that the sound stage is bigger but it also takes away the vocals from being front and center. It’s not as organic and live. Very interesting. I suppose it depends what you like better. Thanks for suggesting it.
May might sound very different with the external upsampling. I now use HQPlayer with it, upsampling everything to DSD256. To my taste it sounds way better than my previous HMS-WAVE-DAVE setup. DSD upsampling has similar benefits (bigger soundstage et.c.) like PCM, but somehow does not make everything too airy, sucking the engagement and life out of music.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 29
May might sound very different with the external upsampling. I now use HQPlayer with it, upsampling everything to DSD256. To my taste it sounds way better than my previous HMS-WAVE-DAVE setup. DSD upsampling has similar benefits (bigger soundstage et.c.) like PCM, but somehow does not make everything too airy, sucking the engagement and life out of music.
Appreciate the advice. I’ll look into it.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 29
“Sounds way better” can u elaborate?
It's hard to find right words to be honest. I can't say that M-DAVE was bad. It was maybe "too refined" or "too correct". Great great for classical music, boring for rock and punk. Holo in NOS mode is less refined, but more energetic and vivd DAC. HQPlayer upscaling to DSD256 (ASDM7 ECv2, poly-sinc-gauss-long, poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp) improved technical side of Holo's sound significantly and nailed the perfect balance between fun and technicality. Now I like absolutely every aspect of Holo May better than it was with Chord DAVE. Dynamics, timbre, tonal balance, detail, soundstage - everything.

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 29

image.jpg
Which one do you prefer between the Holo May + M Scaler combo and the Holo May + HQ player combo? Also, I see you have the 1266 TC with the super conductor cable. These are most likely my next headphones, and I'm really curious as to your thoughts on how those sound with the SC cable + Holo May + M Scaler if you've tried that combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back