The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #8,431 of 11,341
  Some signatures take a little more time to get, but when you do click it can be really positive. The Z1R is a fantastic headphone, it has an addictive tonality and I personally like the big driver sound. I liked it quite a bit right from the get go, but the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate what it does.

When i first heard the Z1R I thought it was pretty good... Then the second day I listened to it (giving it more head time) I was really impressed by it, and love it now. There is something about the tone that gives it this weight and shape to the notes. I realized looking back that it wasn't about the sound growing on me as much as needing to let my brain take it in and then hear whats so great about it. I didn't want to over hype them so I held back trying to gush about them ha. I am happy to see so many people really loving them like I do.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #8,432 of 11,341
  When i first heard the Z1R I thought it was pretty good... Then the second day I listened to it (giving it more head time) I was really impressed by it, and love it now. There is something about the tone that gives it this weight and shape to the notes. I realized looking back that it wasn't about the sound growing on me as much as needing to let my brain take it in and then hear whats so great about it. I didn't want to over hype them so I held back trying to gush about them ha. I am happy to see so many people really loving them like I do.

Absolutely, I was just discussing the Z1R now in a PM with somebody and that was one of my comments, the weighty, meatiness to the Z1R combined with overall pretty solid technical ability and detail presentation makes it special. While not perfect, we all know that, the tuning is very well done and for somebody who favours a musical, engaging approach, the Z1R has a really good chance of striking a chord with them. I know it did with me.

I had loved the D7000 and the TH900, but  both for me lacked just a little something in the tonality (midrange resolution most likely) so when I first heard about the Z1R I just couldn't help but be curious. I had owned the Z7 and while I liked it, there was something with the tonality that didn't quite work as well for me. I often referred to the sound as somewhat two dimensional and I think what you are saying about the shape of the notes with the Z1R is getting at that hard to describe sound quality. Regardless, the Z1R certainly has a very vivid sound presentation about it and it does continue to grow on me. I never keep headphones, never, I thirst for new signatures as I love trying them out, but I have to admit, the Z1R I just may have to keep!

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #8,433 of 11,341
That is what I am trying to say about the shape. It gives it this body and 3rd dimension to the sound. It makes me feel like its more natural to me. (putting "that" into words isn't my forte ha) which is another reason I didn't want to hype them in the beginning. I can't verbalize the secret sauce recipe!

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,434 of 11,341

I've never been a believer in burn-in having significant effects (and most cabling changes) but with the Z1R I also wonder if it's just the mental burn-in placebo or if there was a bit of improvement.

I've been revisiting a few tracks where I found the bass to be a bit woollier in the first day and haven't had that feeling again. Given the huge DD driver, maybe there is a little change in sound. Most likely, there isn't.

Surprisingly, the Andromeda have been stealing some ear time from the Z1R at home. This surprised me since I see IEMs as almost always inferior and just worth it in cases where portability and isolation are essential. Yet, I've grabbed them a few times to listen on the couch, instead of going for the Z1R. The little green things are truly amazing, in a different way that can be enjoyable sometimes.

You are not alone. I myself have encountered signature changes with my iDSD BL when burning in. The sound signature went through changes especially in the treble region. I detected the change immediately as volume settings on both software and hardware have not been touched and I am sensitive to ear piercing frequencies. But right now, I think the iDSD signature is settling down a bit and it sounds more mellow now.
In order to ascertain it wasn't a placebo effect that the signature has changed (to the worse), I switched out my Z1R to my m50x and reached the same conclusion that indeed, the sound signature has changed because listening to the m50x during that phase was even worse (than Z1R) due to it's treble splash. 
Even now, the 846 when paired with IDSD doesn't sound that bad, in the bass region, though still slightly muddy. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #8,435 of 11,341
Question - any of you transporting the Z1Rs to-and-from your home/office to wherever? If so, what bag would fit/protect them well enough? I've been using these exclusively in my office but want to take them home over the weekend to try them on my Leben amp.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #8,436 of 11,341
  Question - any of you transporting the Z1Rs to-and-from your home/office to wherever? If so, what bag would fit/protect them well enough? I've been using these exclusively in my office but want to take them home over the weekend to try them on my Leben amp.

I used my Lowepro camera bag to transport my Z1R http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/flipside-400-aw

Its interior is padded and can be customized to fit any object that's not larger than the backpack. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #8,437 of 11,341
I just want to repeat what Sonic Defender said above because he really hits the nail on the head and it's exactly what I hear with the Z1R (and I have to add that they are really comfortable and are built well):

Absolutely, I was just discussing the Z1R now in a PM with somebody and that was one of my comments, the weighty, meatiness to the Z1R combined with overall pretty solid technical ability and detail presentation makes it special. While not perfect, we all know that, the tuning is very well done and for somebody who favours a musical, engaging approach, the Z1R has a really good chance of striking a chord with them. I know it did with me.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #8,438 of 11,341
What I've been appreciating more is the fit and comfort.   I hate to use the cliche "fits like a glove" but they seem perfectly contoured for my head and ears.  There is always a little something that nags me about a headphone's comfort, but not these.  It's like the Lexus of headphone comfort and design. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #8,439 of 11,341

On Fridays I take mine home for the weekend. I use the wood/leather box they came in as I can fit the pha-3 and extra cables in it perfectly I use a fabric grocery bag so I can sling it over my shoulder to the car
Pretty easy actually and no worries about the phones being damaged. Not sure if you drive home or bus. On the bus it may be a small nuisance. In the summer when I bike I expect the box will fit in my panier.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #8,441 of 11,341
I'll have to check this out.    I am a big jazz fan but can't stand the smooth / dinner music jazz or people like Kenny G.   I like daring and adventurous stuff like Coltrane, Mingus, Davis, Art Blakey, Eric Dolphy, etc.   Those guys were light years ahead when they were playing and still sound fresh and new today.  Jazz is an acquired taste but I think the good stuff is often neglected because there are misconceptions about it.  There is beauty in it even in what may sound like chaos at first.  It's the sound of freedom.  The Z1R is great with jazz because you really feel the weight of the drum and bass tones. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #8,442 of 11,341
  I used my Lowepro camera bag to transport my Z1R http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/flipside-400-aw

Its interior is padded and can be customized to fit any object that's not larger than the backpack. 

Ah, thank you. Would like to find a messenger bag/sling type of an alternative.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8,443 of 11,341

On Fridays I take mine home for the weekend. I use the wood/leather box they came in as I can fit the pha-3 and extra cables in it perfectly I use a fabric grocery bag so I can sling it over my shoulder to the car
Pretty easy actually and no worries about the phones being damaged. Not sure if you drive home or bus. On the bus it may be a small nuisance. In the summer when I bike I expect the box will fit in my panier.

I commute in a crowded NYC subway everyday so I'd likely need a svelter solution =)

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8,444 of 11,341
The Z1Rs are pretty compact and stowable, in my opinion, especially compared to Sony's older phones like the CD3k and SA5k. Just need to find the right little case for it. This has been discussed before though. :p

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #8,445 of 11,341

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Professional-Broadcasting-Microphone-Hermitshell/dp/B01LZK3SKZ/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JWPX9MEFDNXJKHMW9XK3&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back