The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #8,011 of 11,341
I wonder if the OP with ear pain means the pressure that can build inside the ear canal as opposed to pain from pressure on the structures around the ear? I can see that happening if all your headphones had been open back and suddenly you have this big monster 70mm driver and a tight seal. I have on occasion with other closed headphones had an unpleasant sensation from internal air pressure I assume. Not with the Z1R as of yet, touch wood.

Very logical explanation and one I surmise explains what I was experiencing. I definitely feel the big driver and tight seal caused this for me. This was one of the reasons mine went back - well that and the Utopia!

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #8,012 of 11,341
Ah, this is the silly bit. Entirely based around a very short line in The Dude's review. He mentioned that particular amp as being a poor match up for the headphone. I'm not technically minded enough to know the full in's and out's of why current mode may not be ideal, but I thought the review was pretty much perfect in it's approach to measurements / listening, so I'm willing to take on board that it may not be an ideal setup. I'm not desperate to shift it on, and as you say, I may end up loving it - but I'm not super attached to the Questyle if something else out there is going to be better suited TECHNICALLY for the same sort of cash.

Anyways, I'll be listening intently tomorrow afternoon.Would you believe that I bought a set of Z7's on Sunday and they haven't even arrived yet, already pulled the trigger on the Z1R... please, don't tell my wife!! The Z7 will be literally in and out of the door on the same day :D

i've not seen the dude's review (i don't know who he is tbh) but i have heard the z1r and cma6000i - just not together.

my unsolicited advice to you is to try not to let the dude's persuasive review influence your perception of this pairing before you've heard it for yourself. in other words, "trust your ears".

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #8,013 of 11,341
Sorry, I meant this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-z1r/reviews/17324

It's by @thatonenoob, who was also being called The Dude earlier in the thread. I went with the Lebowski nickname!

But yeah, I'll be listening to it with the intention of keeping the pair. Can't wait!

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #8,014 of 11,341
Hello!

I (accidentally, honest!) just purchased a set of these headphones! Can't wait for them to arrive. I currently use a Questyle CMA600i as my amplifier, and I understand that might not be the greatest match up due to its Current Mode Amplification. I'm OK with the idea of moving the amplifier on, and I've looked through quite a few of the pages here but haven't seen much in the way of recommendations. Budget is going to have to be the proceeds from the CMA600i, which should be around £700 GBP.

Is the PHA-3AC any good as a match up? Portability isn't too important for me, but it is reasonably handy as far as space saving goes.

Thanks guys, look forward to some replies hopefully!

Did you buy the one on amazon via buywise!?

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #8,015 of 11,341
  Sorry, I meant this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-z1r/reviews/17324

It's by @thatonenoob, who was also being called The Dude earlier in the thread. I went with the Lebowski nickname!

But yeah, I'll be listening to it with the intention of keeping the pair. Can't wait!

i've read @thatonenoob's review, and as much as i respect his opinion, my advice to you still stands. we both own the th900 and i tried the cma600i with it (well it was the th900mk2 actually, but it's the same headphone with removable rather than fixed cables) and my impression of the pairing was more positive than his.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #8,017 of 11,341
Did you buy the one on amazon via buywise!?

I bought mine from Amazon UK direct, not heard of Buywise, sorry! I got one of the warehouse deals just to try out, and I'll probably just send them back and go for new ones once I'm happy with them. Didn't want to buy new and then leave Amazon with ANOTHER open set just for my trying them. Not expecting to be unhappy with them though in all honesty.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #8,018 of 11,341
I bought mine from Amazon UK direct, not heard of Buywise, sorry! I got one of the warehouse deals just to try out, and I'll probably just send them back and go for new ones once I'm happy with them. Didn't want to buy new and then leave Amazon with ANOTHER open set just for my trying them. Not expecting to be unhappy with them though in all honesty.
If you bought the one described as used, very good in the last day or so then it's probably the one I just returned.

If it has a small dent on the right ear cup and serial number 450 then that's the ones. If so you'll be the third person in this thread to have them!

I can happily report that they sound fantastic.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #8,019 of 11,341
If you bought the one described as used, very good in the last day or so then it's probably the one I just returned.

If it has a small dent on the right ear cup and serial number 450 then that's the ones. If so you'll be the third person in this thread to have them!

I can happily report that they sound fantastic.

Ah, OK! I've just decided to bump myself up to the 'Like New' set instead, still hadn't been shipped and won't affect my shipping date of tomorrow. I might keep them if they're literally like new, saves shipping them back. I couldn't cope with a dent though, not at that price.

Did you trade in for new ones?

My Z7 have just turned up, too. Nice cans, for the money I paid (£230) they seem a steal. Alas, I can't justify keeping them with the Z1R incoming.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #8,020 of 11,341
Ah, OK! I've just decided to bump myself up to the 'Like New' set instead, still hadn't been shipped and won't affect my shipping date of tomorrow. I might keep them if they're literally like new, saves shipping them back. I couldn't cope with a dent though, not at that price.

Did you trade in for new ones?

My Z7 have just turned up, too. Nice cans, for the money I paid (£230) they seem a steal. Alas, I can't justify keeping them with the Z1R incoming.
No I just sent them back. Like some others I had issues with my ears hurting due to the pressure from the large driver and being closed. I second guess that decision on a daily basis though as they do sound pretty special.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #8,021 of 11,341
  Hello!

I (accidentally, honest!) just purchased a set of these headphones! Can't wait for them to arrive. I currently use a Questyle CMA600i as my amplifier, and I understand that might not be the greatest match up due to its Current Mode Amplification. I'm OK with the idea of moving the amplifier on, and I've looked through quite a few of the pages here but haven't seen much in the way of recommendations. Budget is going to have to be the proceeds from the CMA600i, which should be around £700 GBP.

Is the PHA-3AC any good as a match up? Portability isn't too important for me, but it is reasonably handy as far as space saving goes.

I can vouch for the tonal clarity, build quality, and volume of the PHA-3, it is the best integrated headphone amp/dac that I've owned so far.
That said, it feels to me like the Z1R can do better with more power. Volume is not the issue. Balanced mode on the PHA-3 puts out a max of 320mA.
Wile I hear the great dynamics and details in balance mode, it feels like it could do better in the sub-bass area. I used a power amp the other day with speaker taps and found it terrible with respect to noise floor, but it felt like better sub-bass control. To me this means that the Z1R will scale with a more powerful amp.
However, finding one that has the same silent noise floor as the PHA-3 will cost a fair bit more.
Consider the PHA-2A as it has a balanced connection that you can use with the stock balanced cable instead of buying the Sony balanced cable for the PHA-3. Seems to have the same power out and DAC section. Unless there is a reason you need the line-in or line-out I would get the PHA-2A at the moment.
I'm considering a pair of NuForce 200 monoblocks with a dedicated DAC to match, but the pair plus DAC is getting up in price.
Point is I'm still looking for a more powerful balanced amp, but I'm not in any rush as the PHA-3 in balanced mode is fantastic. PHA-2A would be equally good and cheaper.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,022 of 11,341

Point is I'm still looking for a more powerful balanced amp, but I'm not in any rush as the PHA-3 in balanced mode is fantastic. PHA-2A would be equally good and cheaper.

Have you considered the Schiit Jotunheim with an integrated multibit DAC? Seems to have plenty of power and I think most can agree Schiit do know what they are doing so worth considering as it has balanced and SE output.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #8,023 of 11,341
Very logical explanation and one I surmise explains what I was experiencing. I definitely feel the big driver and tight seal caused this for me. This was one of the reasons mine went back - well that and the Utopia!

Yeah, it's a discomfort that could be pressure but it's not the same when like you fly on an airplane and have to equalize your ear drums (aka pop your ears). I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not sibilance pain that I experienced when I had the HD800, as I have found that I'm very treble sensitive. I've backed down the volume to see if that helps. I really enjoy the sound sig but not the discomfort.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #8,024 of 11,341
  Have you considered the Schiit Jotunheim with an integrated multibit DAC? Seems to have plenty of power and I think most can agree Schiit do know what they are doing so worth considering as it has balanced and SE output.

Yes, I have. At "50 ohms, 3000mW RMS per channel" should be plenty.
That said I have not finished researching. Measurement graphs would be nice to see.
Built in dac option or gungnir?
Eventually I'll get around to it.
Was considering HeadAmp GS-X mk2 for a future purchase, like 2+ years. Like I said, no rush.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #8,025 of 11,341
Hello!

Stretch to a Trilogy 931. Gorgeous amp-I'm talking mine home right now and can't wait to get it plugged in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back