The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #7,128 of 11,341
After having the Z1R the only thing that intrigues me at this point is the Mysphere project. k1000 engineers combining their knowledge and expertise with new technologies. Sounds very unique and cool. It's probably going to be close to the Utopia pricing though. My guess is that if you wait for reviews and impressions before buying you might find yourself waiting a long time to get one.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,129 of 11,341
After having the Z1R the only thing that intrigues me at this point is the Mysphere project. k1000 engineers combining their knowledge and expertise with new technologies. Sounds very unique and cool. It's probably going to be close to the Utopia pricing though. My guess is that if you wait for reviews and impressions before buying you might find yourself waiting a long time to get one.

do share more on this...what is it...
i'm waiting for more tech and apps moving the sound of headphones out of our heads
and into more 3D, speaker-like realism....but that won't be for another 5-10 yrs, it seems.

article below is by Ty of Innerfidelity, writing for Stereophile
(see esp pg 2 on the challenges)
'Of headphones to come'
http://www.stereophile.com/content/headphones-come#fSyFFulcaYQuewwi.97

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,130 of 11,341
i'm waiting for more tech and apps moving the sound of headphones out of our heads
and into more 3D, speaker-like realism....but that won't be for another 5-10 yrs, it seems.

'Of headphones to come'

Have you tried the 'Out of Your Head' software? I think it's amazing, literally does move the sound out of your head like speakers.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #7,131 of 11,341
  I think anyone with ear pain/sensitivity should be considering these:
1. Senn HD650
2. Hifiman HE1000v2
3. (used) Hifiman HE500
4. (last but not least) Sony Z1R

Audeze is a mixed bag because I always found some tendency to highlight digital glare in vocals.

I've got a pair of Hifiman HE1000v2 on their way, so will see how they are for my ears. 

I'm so glad that the topic of ear pain from closed cans was brought up on this thread. I hadn't found anything about it before, I thought it was just some strange issue I had.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #7,133 of 11,341
Unicorns aren't real!

What does she have? :p

Lets hope she can't live without acquiring some Focal Grande Utopias, and some nice McIntosh gear!

Since when is McIntosh gear nice? It only looks pretty but it doesn't sound that great.

My girlfriend is used to it. She doesn't even care anymore.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #7,134 of 11,341
  I've got a pair of Hifiman HE1000v2 on their way, so will see how they are for my ears. 

I'm so glad that the topic of ear pain from closed cans was brought up on this thread. I hadn't found anything about it before, I thought it was just some strange issue I had.

Its important to take breaks and also keep ears clean and clean pads. Its not that hard to get infections, and also with small infections enclosed in that small space with heat and moisture buildup is a big no no. I've learned from it.  Also to change pads every 3-6 months. I've cut open enough pads to see how deep those sweat germs get into the foam! eeek! Air out pads before putting back into cases, and occasionly wipe / clean etc. And then theres the clamp and volume issues :p

Stay Safe!

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #7,135 of 11,341

'Of headphones to come'

There is a thread on the Mysphere on the forum. This is where I first found out about it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #7,137 of 11,341
My first impression of the Z1R (yesterday) was "wow".
I'll try to qualify that as it continues to burn in. The first aspect of the phones that caught my attention was the sound field. The sound gives me the impression that im in a well damped audio room for whatever the performance is. By that I mean that music that sounds best with open headphones for a wide spacial feeling sound as if they are playing in a large space. Music that sounds best with closed phones for that right in the club feeling sounds like it is being played in a smaller room. All at the same time the sound feels like it is coming from all around, not just being beamed directly into my ear canal from a few feet or right on the ears (open,closed phones).
This sense of space is different than I have heard from any other phone including Byers, Audeze, AKG, Senns, and all other sonny's that I have heard(I have not heard the Z7).
The sense of space really feels like a well setup recording studio of the right size for the number of performing instruments with good sound dampening. To me it feels wonderful.
I'll share more later.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #7,138 of 11,341
Best DAP under $500 is likely the FiiO X5 Gen3.  This recently released X5 is quite a performer but still quite lacking next to the Mojo.  The best test to any DAP is a hard to drive headphones such as the HD800.  The MOJO was able to handle the HD800 reasonably well while most DAPs have tough time to drive the HD800 properly.

You are right in this regard, I guess my statement only applies if you don't have hard to drive headphone.

there is also Cayin I5, which sounds quite nice.

It is definitely not as good as the mojo (especially in detail retrieval), but good enough for me for portable duties rather than 1100 for mojopoly combo if you don't have mojo already.

back on topic, have anyone tried the Z1R from DAPS?

The Cayin products are pretty good. We've decided to represent them here in the US

I'd strongly suggest the Cayin i5...just brilliant!

Listening to the Cayin i5 with my Z1R as I write this! Don't think you can do much better in the sub $500 DAP range than the i5. I even prefer it to some higher end DAPs I've used.

As for the pairing with the Z1R, it's really solid. More power than you'll ever need and has good synergy (although not as good as the Mojo).

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #7,139 of 11,341

OK, yes it is an issue with headphones. Also for honorable mention is the Grado e series. My GS1000e and (mostly) the PS1000e are a newer direction for Grado, much more easygoing and very enjoyable to my ears. The GS1000e has been replaced by the GS2000e that I have not heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back