The Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #136 of 150
Very upset I was traveling on the 9th and missed this meet... When is the next one? Or anything similar in Southern California? Not that anyone want's to hear my setup, but I really would love to hear some of these setups that I read about!

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #137 of 150
  Very upset I was traveling on the 9th and missed this meet... When is the next one? Or anything similar in Southern California? Not that anyone want's to hear my setup, but I really would love to hear some of these setups that I read about!

I, too, would like to know when the next one is in Southern California.  And congratulations on your 500th post, TooPoor!

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #138 of 150

I, too, would like to know when the next one is in Southern California.  And congratulations on your 500th post, TooPoor!

March, 2015! Mega, two day event. In the meantime, there may be a few mini meets.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #139 of 150
  Hey you guys, I didn't get a chance to talk to many of you about this... but did y'all get a chance to hear the super secret headphone amp that was at my table?  Any additional thoughts about that rig, good or bad?

BTW, I thought it was pretty awesome that we had some girls at our meet.  Not just girls that were dragged there kicking and screaming by their boyfriends, but girls that dig personal audio. 
smile.gif

Ummm...no, I did
biggrin.gif
not. If I knew where to go and what to look out for maybe I could see it briefly in the wild, cafeside.
evil_smiley.gif
Or library.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #140 of 150
  Glad to see Apogee bring in some toys.  Big fan of the company even though they have not been involved in our hobby much until now.  Didn't realize their Symphony IO uses ESS Sabre DAC.  I recently re-acquired a Mini-Dac having come to the realization that it hits a price/performance sweet spot for me that still holds true today.  They have some competition from Lynx though!

I formerly had an Apogee Big Ben Master Clock in my system and loved it! Only sold it in March/April to cover unexpected expenses. 
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #142 of 150

March, 2015! Mega, two day event. In the meantime, there may be a few mini meets.

Can't wait!  I hope it's not the first weekend of March because each year I attend the Wrestling State Championships in lovely Bakersfield's Rabobank Arena.  Make sure to go to Moo Creamery out there if y'all are ever in the area.  Yum!

I believe there's a November meet in San Diego if you guys are near there, that's just around the corner...

That sounds good, littlexsparkee.  Please post details when you can.  Thanks. 
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #144 of 150
darinf of Darin Fong Audio is running it. It'll be Saturday, November 8th. I think details are still being fleshed out but we're talking about it on a San Diego thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/727351/any-head-fiers-in-san-diego

That's great, and thank you for the link! In the least, it would be a treat just to hear Darin's software again. It could probably make $1 cheapo earphones sound great! Heh. That (and everything else there) would be worth the drive for sure.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #145 of 150
Can't wait!  I hope it's not the first weekend of March because each year I attend the Wrestling State Championships in lovely Bakersfield's Rabobank Arena.  Make sure to go to Moo Creamery out there if y'all are ever in the area.  Yum!

That sounds good, littlexsparkee.  Please post details when you can.  Thanks. :smile:  

Grew up in Bakersfield for the first 26 years of my life. Lots of great places for food. In particular, the creamery locations. Rosemary's is a must. Dewar's is also amazing. Hard to find places that can hold a candle to them anywhere in the country.

Well, as long as you don't mind the worst air quality in the nation, blistering heat and the stink (at edges of town because of farm land).

You know you're close to Bakersfield when you start sticking to your seat and try to roll down your window to air out what you think is one of your passenger's farts only to realize that it only got stronger. It's like a giant Dutch oven fart box.

Anyway, loved the meet. There were a few rigs I wish I had spent more time with, and a few that I didn't get around to.

Thank you Apogee for the great raffle prize that I won. Also, big thanks to the other vendors that were so generous with your time and raffle prizes.

The members's tables were the highlights of the meet for me. They are what stand out in my memory the most.

Warren and Ethan really know how to put on a meet. Awesome job. I'm already working on the plot to convince my wife why going to both days of the next meet is necessary.

Oh yeah, thanks Luis for nerding out with me over Bio classes.

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #146 of 150
Awesome meet! Many thanks to the organizers, even though I didn't win anything! :)

I was hoping to take many pictures, but I got distracted by too many cool headphones. I did manage to take a few.

That's my brother and nephew. Gotta get the next generation excited about this stuff!

Yep, that's me!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #148 of 150
I did find something I liked!  The Chord Hugo.  In for a dime, in for a dollar, or in this case many dollars.  But I was blown away.  I will confess though the Apogee Syphony was pretty impressive.  And I really liked the Sennheiser balanced cans on the HDVD....that is, until I listened to the Symphony and then the Hugo.  I read somewhere that the HDVD was a great amp but a just so-so DAC, and conversely that the Hugo was a mind-blowing DAC and a mediocre amp.  That was my experience; I could listen to anything from anywhere on the Hugo and regardless of the source, it sounded like CD-quality.  And I figure that the money I'll save avoiding replacing my iPod iTunes collections with CDs or SACDs will go towards the Hugo.

This was my first meet, and I'm new to head-fi as well.  Thanks for putting on a great show!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #149 of 150
I agree cancangirl. In my opinion, the Chord Hugo was the star (portable-wise) of the entire show! Loved every nuance and aspect of the technological marvel that is the Hugo.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #150 of 150
WHOA I wayyyyy overestimated my free time to write impressions on this thread I am still doing it but you know ...... life.  I haven't finished but I'll post the first part (IEMs) and leave the rest for later (headphones, vendors) don't know if I'll finish but here we go.

Ok a week late and a buck short but here are my impressions.  First a preface these are MY OPINIONS  and I hope that people take them as such.  I would tread water but I want to give you the impressions I felt as I was listening to the gear and my mind isn’t the most politically correct.  Also my sonic signature might be different from yours.  Ok here we go.

IEMs

Tranlucent

Reference 1 (uber cable)- I heard a great many things about you, a $2500 IEM that could beat any closed back headphone. I though we would never meet EN GARDE!
Granted I didn’t give you the amping or source that would befit your price tag but still.  You have broken my heart, not stolen it.  Is the soundstage as good as they say? Yes but does it matter no.  To my ears this IEM felt broken.  It was missing a region the area between the mids and the tremble that made the music in the tremble region pop out as if it was its own separate song which sounded as bad as it reads.  The bass was good a tab bit light but good. The mids? I couldn’t really tell you because due to their neighbor playing their music to loud I felt they weren’t being done justice.

JH audio

Jh5- there is a little bass and its tight and accurate but the mids and tremble don’t feel right. 

Jh7- better than the jh5 but the mids and tremble are still off the bass is right were I want it now front and center without being a showboat.

Jh10- I thought the line was just going to let the bass bloom but instead I got sub bass!! The mids and the tremble got more body but there is still some thing wrong with them.

Jh13 – ok how is it that the bass keeps getting better!!! Its not some loud distorting base out of a random guys car but real detailed and textures.  However thought the mids and tremble had even better separation and the subbass gave the song excellent tone, they still weren’t what I wanted.  I grew to fear that high end IEMs weren’t for me.

Roxanes (sirens) – better mids and highs plus the ability to select my bass level from naughty by nature to being a rolling stone.  WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!!!! All the detail that I wanted was in the highs and the mids but my ears still wanted to reject these TOTL iems.  Should I leave the meet with my head bowed down and accept a life of mp3s and dynamic compression, was high fi not for me?   No this couldn’t be it I was about to steal GREEDS setup with my master plan of “Hey look over there”(Quicksilver run to unplug cables ----> Samson   strength to carry it out of the building)  so what was it?  EPYPHANY!!!!    (once I got to the noble table) It wasn’t that I didn’t like great sound but the sound signiture that I was listening too!!  The JH audio iems have the last word when it comes to base but they are SUPER analytical in the mids and highs, so much that I feel robs music of its musicality.  I'm listening to individual notes not a song. NEXT

UE

UERMs – UE may not have been at the show but after a very brief conversation about the new AK line up Owen informs me that there are some UERMs plugged into an ak240.  I ponce and listen. My almighty judgement?

“In the beginning God created the perfect IEMs, then some chick ate an apple and he took away the bass” 

So close to perfection but I felt it was missing bass thus causing the sound to sound to thin and less dynamic than perfection.  This phenomenon would come to be called by the scientist writing this impression …….um some clever name that I will come up with at a later time. If I buy the jh13s and the UERMs and steal Thors hammer does anyone think if I smash them together I can get the perfect IEM?

Noble

FRs- I walked up glum about my experience at the JH audio table but was excited to see what these iems were about.  F side that’s what I’m talking about the mids and highs sounded better (raised my head) blended when the song required musicality  but a little bright. I liked it but not so much that I wanted to spend the $700.  R side like the Jh line in analyticalness but without the bass.  Actually that was my opinion of this iem regardless of the switch side, where’s the bass?

5-   ok the edge of reason (pricewise for me) so hows that sound? Ugggggghh what happen, this is somehow bright and boomy at the same time.   Too weird I’m out, maybe its not to late to steal some lcds?  THEN …..Whats this is this Gilly87 sat down next to me.  A man with an extremely intimate knowledge of head-fi, I have yet to listen to gear that this man has not accurately described.  I tell him I can’t seem to enjoy these IEMs and he simply tells me “its because you like a neutral signature with a little bass bump listen to the 4 and maybe the 6, BUT DON’T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LISTENT TO THE k10! You’re wallet will never forgive you”

4- Damn you Gilly87 you were right this is what I wanted but still “where is the base?”

6- UERM we have a competitor the wizards brilliance shines.  Neutral with great base but the texture seems a little too rich.  With Jimmy’s permission I borrow the UERMs from the A&K table and AB the two out of a ak240.  Notes are richer on the 6 than on the UERMs and with better base but …. the mids and highs are too texture, this added quality makes songs notes feel two dimensional and even on my short comparison I could tell that the 6 would be to fatiguing on long listening sessions.  Damn if only the 6 was a CIEM and had that FR switch.

10- didn’t even try my wallet won this battle.

Seinhieser

Ie800 (out of ak120)-  ok lets check these out OH MY GOD WHY ARE THEY SO SHRILL!!! Did someone set off a flash grenade my ears are ringing .  The sound signature feels like they are the hd800s analytical and detailed (not good separation as the top JH models but still definitely monitors)  if it wasn’t for that horrible top end I could see myself buying these to analyze songs, to better play the guitar parts. The parts that I did like reminded me of R side of the noble FRs but with a bigger dynamics range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back