The NEW Zenith of Smooth and Cleer
Apr 20, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #16 of 17
Some may wonder about the sanity of someone who would want different Amps for differing Music. Also wanting them to be Portable will, for most futher conferm this. However This amp derserves a Place in my line of somewhat different sounding Amps based upon my Origenal Portable Amp's platform.

THIS Amp as it now stands is awaiting inclosure within a hammond enclosure. It is based around (6) per channel OPA-633/HA-5033. and an AD-8610. A stack of (3) BUF-634's for the Virtual ground on each Channel. the Opamps are separatly Powered by the JFET Current source and cap. Multi. Separate Batteries consisting of an outBoard battery back Consisting of (3) 3,000 MAh Model car NI-MH packs. An XLR connector supplies Power into each Channel thats 2 X XLR's this is to afford the use of a grounded regulated Outboard supply. The Quality level of this Amp really bennifits from this Kind of AC Supply. The batteriy back unly uses the Two Wire connection thus reling upon the Virtual ground Drivers to form the ground reference. This also Requires the Dual Voltages of the grounded Outboard AC Supply Be as close to the same value as the virtual ground driver is Now in parralell with a Conventional dual rail AC Supply. All controlls are rotary like on my EL-2009/AD-825 based design i was going with untill the 2009 was discontinued and thus lead me on a search for an alternative. Still the sonics of this Amp is dirfferent than the 2009 based one. The main most noticible Difference of this amp is A substantially lower level of Preceived distortion. Smooth and Clear is also combined with revealing Microdynamics. the sence of speed is apparent on Strings and techno has that elusive metalic quality that only the 2009 and 2002 have been able to aproach, But with this Amp these qualities are more apparent. so I am most lickly going to have Diy plans for this Amp since the Buffers are still available. However it will not be compleat untill about sept or so since i have to give a summer test drive to make sure all the bugs are gone. I will keep you Posted upon Future devolopments on this Amp in this thred.
I will also try the AD-825 in this unit.

Oct 5, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #17 of 17
I Brought this thred upagain to add my another one of my sweeping generasations regarding The HA-5002 Buffer I have been playing with for a while. This Buffers topology is almost a copy of the HA-5033/POA-633 Presented in this thred so i brought it back up.

THE HA-5002 i noticed was one very different sounding buffer from others like the Elantecs right from the start. Problems were present but the good points were sh-oooo Good that i at one point was considering lkiving with the drawbacks. Another unatractive ferature of this part is lack of output protection so a short will damage or distroy the IC. Sure an intelegent user would plug and unplug his cans prior to playing music but you never know. However this issur can be delt with it just will not be adressed hear.

Smooth & Clear plus guts The most Favorable attrabute of the HA-5002 is Punch and dynamics. This part will Rock your Fillings out. I was impressed at how close in dynamics of the EL-2008 and HA-5002 are. Just one Ha-5002 Is noticably more Dynamic than a Parr Pair of EL-2001's or the Higher Biased EL-2002. Every listener that listened to the HA-5002 liked it over the Lower power Elantecs EL-2001 & EL-2002. The BUF-634 is not evean in the running againt this part. This is the only Buffer other than the EL-2008 & EL-2009 that i can use just one to get great sound out of my MDR-7506's All others require parralelling Buffers. Now the HA-5002 can be paralelled but not as easy as the Elantec or BB parts due to a low Output Z no input resistor on chip and no current limiting. With matching thay paralell quite well.

The sound of this part initialy was bright but still not evean close to eddgy as one would expect. all the Brightness is confined to the uppermost octave anyway so it dose not infringe upon the voices and other upper midrange imfromation like most bright sounding devices do.I can however reduce the brightness if needed Another incredible aspect is the Unsurpassed Microdynamics I mean not evean the Massive EL-2009 can dig out the nuances from the music that this HA-5002 can. Another aspect is Bass this part gose down to the lower levels of hell better than anyother Buffer with the Exception of the EL-2008 & 9. and i think a parr stack of 6 of these would out distence the EL-2009 or at the very least equal it while adding it's own attrabutes that are lacking in the Elantec buffers and that inaddition to punch we have soundstage and imaging. this imaging is also available down at the microscopic level. Distortion is noticably lower than all but the EL-2008 again parralelling recomended. at low volumes the 5002 is clearer. ill leave that at is is for now so if yoy need a replacement for the EL-2001's and EL-2002's this is your part if your confort zone is violated due to lack of output protection then other alternatives are available but you will also have to give up the splendid sound quality of the HA-5002 or the HA-5033/OPA-633, however if you want to live dangererly then the HA-5002 will not dissipoint and the rush you get from listening to it will make up for any extra hassel as for using this part with less than perfect equipment and rercordings use with caution but on the High Quality stuff OH Boy Crystal clear Reproduction with a very refreshing absense of Distortions that you dont notice in other devices untill you compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back