The new Eddie Current 2A3x4
Jan 11, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #181 of 182
Dear 2a3 owners, you may help me :  I have an Eddie Curent 445, but... I really find its sound signature to be too much "dry", too SS style. It is Not the tube signature I was looking for (I definitively want details but I also want some warm & musicality)

Initially I was about to resale myEC445 for a VIVA 845 that I heard in Munich, and that did impress me a lot but, after consideration, I think that a warmer type of tubes like a 2a3 will be better for my taste and for the type of music that I like (no BIG symphonies, but rather more intimate formations, vocals, solo piano, pinkfloyd, pop, ....  for example I much prefer the Beethoven 7th pastorale than the 5th).

I am therefore finally tempted by a VIVA 2a3 instead of the VIVA 845, but...  since the VIVA 2a3 cost 50% more than the EC2a3 and lack the speaker output that the EC2a3 provide, I wonder if the VIVA 2a3 is really better than the EC2a3.

So any advices or comment about the EddieCurent 2a3 V/S it's competitors or other TOL tube amp will be welcome ?  Will the "good looking" Balanced Act also offer a warm sound ? why did you chosed the 2a3 rather than the balancing Act ? 

PS : before I change my EC445 for a 2a3 amp, I may try to change my 445's driver tubes 6C45II-5 for some 5842 tubes like the WE417 that are supposed to be "warmer"  (I already have the 5842->6C45 adapters, I need now to find some good & tested NOS WE417).  Are you aware of this tube roll ?

thank you in advance for any advice that you may provide.

The we417 made a nice difference for me in my EC 2a3 mkIV. Definitely warmer sound but didn't seem to give up anything.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #182 of 182
Hey if anyone is interested in selling their Mk IV I'd be interested please dm me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back