...the Low Volume Listening Thread!
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

headfry

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am a proud low-volume listener, and am creating a thread
for sharing this enthusiasm!

Preserving one’s hearing is a key reason to do this,
and that equipment is readily available to give full scale enjoyment at ear-preserving
low volumes! Decades ago the only way to begin feeling a hint of the musical impact it
was usually required to "blast it", however there is a much better and more affordable gear
available today, some of which can give full musical enjoyment even at very low volumes!

Proper equipment choices, synergy, tweaking can also come into play (e.g. I use a bit of
low bass eq and AQ JB, both of which help IMHO).

If you’re interested in pursuing LVL (low volume listening) - which is a personal choice,
one can put together a playback system that can do the above to one’s total satisfaction,
and even at affordable price points.

Key are the transducers, and for me Grado’s are generally amazing for low volume listening -
(and I would argue that Grado’s are indeed designed to sound their very best at very low to medium volumes -
not at the customary high volumes that many listen to).

Also the Mojo is fantastic at low volumes as well, so my chain of phone or laptop, AQ Jitterbug,
stock cable - Mojo - Grado SR225e’s or GS1000i or Shure SE535 works really well for my needs!

Not all gear works equally for full listening enjoyment at low volumes, so I’m looking forward
to other contributors sharing information about your low-volume listening gear!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Is it too late to join the club?! Definitely a low volume listener here as well! I find I’m usually around 60-70, often times closer to 60
Never too late @juannycash! I developed tinnitus several years ago even though I was never a very high volume listener, and am now mindful of volume, in range similar to yours, and still enjoy the music immensely! Tinnitus has not progressed, thankfully.

BTW I notice from your signature you have owned and sold Focal Clear Mg and Bathys. I currently own Clear MG, enjoy it but find it a bit too much low end prominent versus my Audeze MM-500 or ZMF Auteur. I'm strongly considering selling Clear MG and buying a Bathys as when I work at home wireless is a nice plus. From what I've read the Bathys is fairly balanced across the frequencies with just a bit of warmth. Since you've owned both, how would you compare Clear MG and Bathys sound signatures, and why did you decide to sell Bathys? Thanks!

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Never too late @juannycash! I developed tinnitus several years ago even though I was never a very high volume listener, and am now mindful of volume, in range similar to yours, and still enjoy the music immensely! Tinnitus has not progressed, thankfully.

BTW I notice from your signature you have owned and sold Focal Clear Mg and Bathys. I currently own Clear MG, enjoy it but find it a bit too much low end prominent versus my Audeze MM-500 or ZMF Auteur. I'm strongly considering selling Clear MG and buying a Bathys as when I work at home wireless is a nice plus. From what I've read the Bathys is fairly balanced across the frequencies with just a bit of warmth. Since you've owned both, how would you compare Clear MG and Bathys sound signatures, and why did you decide to sell Bathys? Thanks!
Hello my friend! Yes, I’ve developed tinnitus when I was in my early teens from having way too much car audio equipment and driving around blasting things at ridiculous levels. As I’ve been getting back into headphones, it can be bothersome however it comes and goes for the most part. I make a focused effort to listen much lower now and my ears are more sensible to it across the boards even with TV and when I’m driving. I actually just ordered some b12 per some threads I’ve read feedback on here that really helps some folks keep a grasp on things with tinnitus. We shall see!

That’s a great question regarding the bathys and clear MGs, I would say the bathys in my experience were more of a high end consumer V sound, and were an awesome piece of kit. The MGs are a more difficult call as that depends a lot on your dac/amp, but overall the clear MGs I found to have less warmth but more power and of course a much wider sense of space. Both are excellent really, save for comfort for me. The Bathys I had returned because they made my ears irritated after about 30mins of listening, warm and somewhat itchy. I do have sensitive skin, so I feel this would apply to any closed back not just the bathys. Hope that helps a bit!

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks @juannycash , that is very helpful information and and appreciated! The Bathys are on sale this week and I can buy from amazon, so if the comfort issue arises I have easy recourse to return.

Regarding tinnitus, I use this and while it's difficult to be sure, seems to have helped keep the tinnitus at low level for me. It's also said getting adequate sleep, not too much caffeine (I fail there :coffee:) and overall attention to health is helpful, not surprisingly. Although a skeptic by nature, I also find meditation is very constructive in that one can "train the mind" to not focus unduly on the tinnitus: acknowledge it's presence but not fixate nor be distracted by it to the detriment of music enjoyment. I use headspace.com. YYMV of course.

Sincere Best,
Lory

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks @juannycash , that is very helpful information and and appreciated! The Bathys are on sale this week and I can buy from amazon, so if the comfort issue arises I have easy recourse to return.

Regarding tinnitus, I use this and while it's difficult to be sure, seems to have helped keep the tinnitus at low level for me. It's also said getting adequate sleep, not too much caffeine (I fail there :coffee:) and overall attention to health is helpful, not surprisingly. Although a skeptic by nature, I also find meditation is very constructive in that one can "train the mind" to not focus unduly on the tinnitus: acknowledge it's presence but not fixate nor be distracted by it to the detriment of music enjoyment. I use headspace.com. YYMV of course.

Sincere Best,
Lory
You are most welcome my friend! Yes, I have seen the Bathys for sale at a few different places and think it’s really a great price for what you get, especially when wired up. No harm in trying, if you aren’t susceptible to your ears being bothered from no air exchange it really is amazing and the bathys are what sent me down the road I am now! The Clear MGs I returned for a different reason, mainly my ears always touching the pads at the top or bottom (the bathys have a bigger space for your ears inside) and I found it bothersome to have that constant pressure and touch from the pads. Also, fwiw for much more money the Meze Elites are just a major step up in sound quality, comfort, build quality etc and have ceased my search for any more phones for my collection. I appreciate the recommendations as well, I’ll be sure to do some more research!

Best,
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back