The Industrial Thread
Apr 11, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
>>>>>>
I have Sisters of Mercy - First Last and Always. I would never consider it industrial- perhaps gloomy pop. Is their other stuff different to this? I love the CD that I have.
<<<<<<

SOM "some girls" CD collects many early EPs together, and is far superior to "first, last, always" CD. Massive tracks like valentine,
1969, gimme shelter, heartland, temple of love etc blow away any work that folowed it.

I'm definately with Dark Angel on this. "First and Last and Always" and "Floodland" were good releases, but just don't stack up to "The Reptile House EP" "Alice" "Body Electric" etc. In addition, the demos and outakes of these early seesions are even more intense than those which were officially released. I think the departure of guitarists Ben Gunn and later Gary Marx was a big turning point in the SOM sound as they were replaced by Wayne Hussey who seemed to tone down the intensity considerably. Of course, this is all IMHO
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 53
Dark Angle asked me in another thread whether or not this was worth getting. I decided to answer in this thread (a) because I hope he's still reading this one, and (b) because it's more appropriate in this thread.

The short answer is yes and no. I like it very much. But if I were honest, I would have to realize that this is not for everyone. It certainly would give one an indication as to their more experimental and dubby side, but that's not necessarily fairly representative of all of their music.

Pro's -- it does have the same high quality as Singles Collect. Though I still cannot find any indication that it has been remastered, it's pretty obvious that it has been.

It's got some outstanding tracks -- "Second Opinion" is one of my favourites; "Cage" is seriously good;"LaHuman8" is amazing, and the segue into "Mirror Saw (Dub Mix)" is seemless; "Shore Lined Poison" has always been one of my favourite tracks with which to introduce people to Skinny Puppy; etc.

Neg's -- the big problem with this collection is that much of the material is remixes, and, as such, tend to drag. Especially earlier in the CD. Thank gawd they didn't try to squeeze "Spahn Dirge" onto here. They did do some outstanding remixes ("Mirror Saw (Dub Mix)" is nicely psychedelic), but many of them are guilty of the "let's-drop-all-the-sliders-except-for-the-rhythm-section-for-a-bar" syndrome, which I personally hate.

The slant is a little too much toward their later material, and many of the tracks are previously available (E.G. three of the four bonus tracks on ViviSect VI are repeated here...why?). Maybe it's because many of the B-sides made it as bonus tracks onto the albums, but that doesn't explain the ViviSect VI tracks.

Here's the rundown:

1 track from the "Addiction" single (CMI era)
2 tracks from "Testure" (ViviSect VI)
2 tracks from "Censor" (ViviSect VI)
1 track from "Chainsaw" EP (M:tPI)
2 tracks from "Inquisition" (Last Rights)
2 tracks from "Spasmolytic" (Too Dark Park)
2 tracks from "Worlock" (Rabies)
1 track from "Tin Omen" (Rabies)
2 tracks from "Tormentor" (Too Dark Park)

Anyway, I'm thinking that one would be better off getting one of the other albums if, after being introduced to Skinny Puppy via Singles Collect, one was interested in pursuing this great band further.

It may be of interest to someone who wants to know to what extremes this band are capable of. It's also good for compleatists, which is where I am.

B00002SWSK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 22, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #48 of 53
A while ago I bought this other collection of odd tracks by Skinny Puppy called "brap" had real cool packaging and I didn't recognize many of the tracks. Most were B sides and prevously unreleased material, 26 tracks total...........didn't like it though and sold it.

Brap

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #49 of 53
Yeah, I actually have that "on deck" -- to listen to next. But I'm a compleatist. I would get a 10CD box set of outtakes if they released it. The cEvin Key/Dwayne R. Goettel combo of those years were effin' brilliant, some of the best music ever. Doubting Thomas/Tear Garden/Hilt/et al...love that stuff.

Tear Garden's Last Man to Fly actually became a desert island disc when a certain business trip that was originally supposed to only be a week or two became five. Of the thirty CD's or so that I brought with me, I listened to that one -- by far -- the most, and never tired of it.

Apr 23, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Strange, I've never heard skinny puppy. I aught to give them a try. Have any of their albums been released on vinyl?

Skinny Puppy are the industrial gods.

Yes, some of their stuff has been released on vinyl, I might even have some. PM or e-me if interested.

Apr 25, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #52 of 53
Oh man, this thread forced on me a buying spree on Amazon, buying up all these great cd's I used to own on tape:

Meat Beat Manifesto-99%
Nitzer Ebb-Showtime
TKK-Kooler than Jesus
Front Line Assembly-Hardwired
KMFDM-Angst
Front 242-Tyranny

It's funny how music like this just sounds like sonic aggression to the uninitiated. I just remember thinking in high school--wow, this is unbelievably cool. Unfortunately, I don't think my wife has any clue about this aspect of my music tastes.

Apr 27, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #53 of 53
Agreed
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Yeah, but the earliest Funker Vogt albums are the best:

B000005OQC.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000005OPN.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back