The HP-1000's have landed...ummm...again (56K warning pics)
Jan 6, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #106 of 118
I actually own two HP-1's (I love those polarity switches!) and one HP-2.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be possibly selling one of my Melos SHA-1's in the near future. I am going to send one into MAR for full restoration and a set of tweeks to make it the best SHA-1 out there you have heard!

MSport911
rs1smile.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #107 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
Msport911,

I found it so unfair.....
etysmile.gif

How could you owe HP1s and HP2s + 2 Melos SHA-1s at the same time.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't let us know your address, we may break in your house
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have actually been in his house, he is a local head-fier, so dont worry, already in stage 3 of infiltration mission
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #108 of 118
Hey recstar,

I just got two Doberman pinchers! j/k You should stop by to meet them! They are very well trained to protect my headphones! So when are we all going to get together for a mini meet in the Chicago area?

MSport911

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #109 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
Msport911,

I found it so unfair.....
etysmile.gif

How could you owe HP1s and HP2s + 2 Melos SHA-1s at the same time.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't let us know your address, we may break in your house
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

can I take one of the HP1's, please??
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #110 of 118
MSport911, those are some very nice pics. I sure wish I had a SHA-1 and an HP-1. I have to settle for having an HP-2 and HPA-1.
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #111 of 118
Seeing those pics of the SHA-1 reminds me - have any of you managed to directly compare a SHA-1 to the Grado HPA-1?

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #112 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Seeing those pics of the SHA-1 reminds me - have any of you managed to directly compare a SHA-1 to the Grado HPA-1?

Yes, I have both. I bought my HPA-1 in 1992 and the SHA-1 in 1993. The Melos is quite a bit better sounding than the HPA-1. More detailed, better bass and smoother treble. Both amps were heavily reviewed at the time they came out and the Melos was universally preferred.

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #113 of 118
Gorgeous stuff! I still feel like the Melos/Grado combo is just your classic synergy that never fails!
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #114 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin
Yes, I have both. I bought my HPA-1 in 1992 and the SHA-1 in 1993. The Melos is quite a bit better sounding than the HPA-1. More detailed, better bass and smoother treble. Both amps were heavily reviewed at the time they came out and the Melos was universally preferred.

Cool - thanks for the info. I have the HPA-1 and I love the synergy it has with the HP-2's. I must admit that I am growing very curious about the SHA-1 though. I have read that the SHA-1 has great synergy with Grado's but never knew how it compared to the HPA-1.

Donlin, would you happen to have any pics of the two amps side by side?
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #115 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Cool - thanks for the info. I have the HPA-1 and I love the synergy it has with the HP-2's. I must admit that I am growing very curious about the SHA-1 though. I have read that the SHA-1 has great synergy with Grado's but never knew how it compared to the HPA-1.

Donlin, would you happen to have any pics of the two amps side by side?
icon10.gif

I'm sorry, I don't have a working digital camera at the moment. The reason the SHA-1 has synergy with the HP-2's is because it was specifically designed for them. The "SHA" designation stands for "Signature Headphone Amplifier" as in Grado Signature Headphones. As I recall, Joe Grado felt the SHA was not neutral enough compared to his own HPA-1, but for non-studio listening, the SHA is more involving.

My current favorite amp for HP-2's is the PS Audio GCHA, which I prefer to my SHA-1, mainly because of cleaner treble with more extension. It is true though that my SHA is 13 years old and has not had any servicing or modifications.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #116 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin
The "SHA" designation stands for "Signature Headphone Amplifier" as in Grado Signature Headphones. .

Hey this is the first time I hear what SHA stands for
basshead.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #117 of 118
Well as long as we are showing Grado/Melos combos-

tower.JPG

That's a SHA-Gold with Reference mods from MAR, with a recabled and repadded Joe Grado HP2 and a John Grado SR325i. Being an earlier incarnation of the Tower of Power, I no longer have the evil looking Optonica or gold bling Grado, having being replaced by a more silvery look via a Marantz 2226. But I like the old school Black and Gold look of this combo, so here ya go.

And it sounds like liquid yum.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #118 of 118
Jahn - I envy you.
evil_smiley.gif

Nice pic though. Please post more if you have them. I love to use these as my desktops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back