The headphone splitter question--To degrade signal quality or not
Oct 29, 2004 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stecchino

Head-Fier
I'm currently using (due to the lack of funds) the headphone out on my eMac to listen to music with my Etymotic ER-6 phones. I have a 3-way headphone splitter (Radio Shack) that I've had for a while. When do an A/B test with my ER-6's plugged directly into the headphone out (A) and plugging the ER-6 into the one of the 3 headphone jacks on the splitter (the other 2 remaning empty), I notice no difference is signal quality.

In other words: Headphone out jack >> 3-way splitter >> ER-6 ONLY = No signal degradation.

When I plug in my Bose MediaMate two-speaker setup into another one of the headphone jacks I notice no further degradation either.

In other words: Headphone out jack >> 3-way splitter >> ER-6 AND Bose speakers = No signal degradation

'Tis only when I plug in another pair a phones that there is a significant drop in volume (about 25-30%) and quality.

In other words: Headphone out jack >> 3-way splitter >> ER-6 AND Bose speakers AND Cheap Sony wrap-around buds with no model # on them = Significant degradation.

This is what I observed while listening with the ER-6.

When listening with the Sony's, I didn't notice any degradation with the speakers being added either. If I added the ER-6 to the splitter, however the volume/quality through the Sony's dropped only 5-10%.

I'm just wondering for the pure sake of my own curiosity why the speakers wouldn't come into play at all.

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, the speaker amp has an input impedance of many kOhms so it takes very little current and power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back