the fan on my graphics card is going out, what should I do?
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have an old-ass computer. Dell XPS Gen 3 from December 2004. Several months ago I started hearing a alot of noise from a fan, and eventually figured out that it was the fan on my graphics card (which is an ATI Radeon X800 XT). Then it (the fan) seemed to start working fine again for a few months, but in the last couple days it struggles to start turning when I turn on the comp, pants along for a minute or two, then quits altogether.

Should I be worried about the graphics processor overheating? I definitely don't have money for a new graphics card right now, let alone a whole new computer. I don't do any gaming, 3D rendering, or anything else that would be considered graphics-intensive. My monitor is an Acer X193w (a 19" widescreen LCD)

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 9
First, no need to post in more than one sub-forum, you should know that
tongue.gif

Generally speaking you should be fine. If you want to be cautious spend the $10 and pick up something like this: Newegg.com - EVERCOOL SB-RV Ever Lubricate Rocket V system cooler - VGA Cooling

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Honestly, I would just consider getting a new card despite your stated preferences. I think that's an AGP card, no? You can get some pretty good AGP cards for under $80 right now, especially given your application. You'll see a performance boost, too.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

should I be worried about the graphics processor overheating?

If the fan dies yes. If a Accelero S1/S2 (forget which one) fits inside you case should be fine for X800XT, I've got one on a 8800GT

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Accelero S1 + any 120mm fan (I have a Scythe fan on mines since I hate noise; I don't know if Nexus fans likes being placed upside down). This combo does take two PCI slots though.

Though if you have the money I would probably suggest a newer AGP card. I don't know what's good out there, and the S1 + fan will set you about $40 or so dollars.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Your card is probably clogged by dust. Did you ever cleaned the inside of your computer ?

I think you should disasemble the fan assembly (but not removing the actual cooler) and clean away the dust buildup. you might even try to take apart the fan and clean it.

Investing in a 20$ fan for such an outdated card is not worth your time.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your card is probably clogged by dust. Did you ever cleaned the inside of your computer ?

I think you should disasemble the fan assembly (but not removing the actual cooler) and clean away the dust buildup. you might even try to take apart the fan and clean it.

I tried that, even though there was no dust on the GPU. Vacuumed out the whole inside of the computer when I did

Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Investing in a 20$ fan for such an outdated card is not worth your time.

oh really, you wanna buy me a new one? That statement doesn't even make sense. Despite the old saying, time and money are not the same thing. I've got enough spare time to change a fan on my GPU, but I have till December 23 to pay half of the $3000 I owe lawyers/courts for a DUI. I'm in college and I can only work 3 shifts a week at my job due to my class schedule. 'Investing' money in a new GPU for a 5 year old computer makes a hell of a lot less sense than getting a cheap replacement or supplemental fan to keep it from frying itself, in my book anyway.

EDIT: see here SWEEEET
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back