The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Apr 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #751 of 803
Does anyone know where to order original earpads for the Pioneer SE-Monitor5 in the UK (or in the EU)? These headphones sound really good but costumer service sucks.

I found the part numbers:
Ear pad L side velour 960-0214-040WP
Ear pad R side velour 960-0215-040WP
Ear pad L side synthetic leather 960-0229-040WP
Ear pad R side synthetic leather 960-0230-040WP

Pioneer Europe (based in Germany) says synthetic leather earpads are in stock and just have to order them in a Pioneer service center in the UK, but the service centers I contacted say they cannot find them in the system, to which Pioneer Europe replies they are in stock and confirms part numbers. Kafkian...

Diameter is 10 cm so maybe one of the Brainwavz or Dekoni may fit, but the original is round and angled and alternatives aren't angled. Any suggestions?

alot of the hifiman and fostex pads are round and angled

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #753 of 803
Alright pad aficionados, I need your help. Massdrop just started dropping the Meze 99 Noir (clone of the Classics in sound the only difference being the color) and I think I would really like the sound signature, however, I abolutely detest pleather ear pads.

So my question is this, has anyone tried (or would be willing to try) the Brainwavz oval microsuede on the Meze 99 Classics? If so, how have they changed the sound signature? I have been searching pad rolling on them and I have only found few instances where they tried non-Meze pads and none of those discussed microsuede pads.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #756 of 803
Are the cheap ear pads on Aliexpress or other stores any good, or should i buy something like Brainwavz ear pads?

It depends on the pads you are looking for but I would say, for the most part, what you get on Aliexpress is going to be pretty similar (or better) to a name brand pad. I've had pretty good luck with the pads I have bought from there.

May 30, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #761 of 803
No I haven't seen the round ones for cheap either. Could've saved a lot of money when I looking for the 'glass slipper' for my HE-400i if the round ones were around for cheap.

You're right. When I was looking, I was looking for the plain pleather flat ones, not hybrids. My bad on the lack of info. Found it (plain pleather flat) on UK eBay for under £9. Not quite the $6.49 but still not unhappy about it.

FYI, I got the plain pleather flats for HD380 as it seemed to be the general consensus that they were the best replacements. Unfortunately, it just scooped out all the mids because the drivers sit too far from the ear. The Sheepskin Ablet I was using was starting to collapse, bringing the drivers too close - bloating out the bass.

My problem is I need to find way too many 'glass slippers' for my 'Prima Dona's. lol

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #762 of 803
Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you all know the Defean sheepskins are pretty awesome. I'm a/b-ing their mdr-v6 pads vs Brainwavs sheepskins.

I tested these on my v6's and Panasonic rp-htf600. I prefer the Defeans. They're 10 bux less than the Brainwavs, but the leather feels similar in quality, the Defean is a bit wrinkly, the Brainwav is supple and smoother. Neither is a clear winner because the sound and comfort are so different.

Upgrade Quality Genuine Leather... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK6B9V4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They look a lot better in person, defean needs to pay some good photographers. The Defean is more of a cylinder. It has more space and holds the driver further from your ear than Brainwavz. The little v6 becomes a true over-ear. The fabric over the driver is much thinner than the Brainwavz foam layer, but Defean includes an optional foam layer in the bag. It's pretty impressive how the Defeans opened my Panasonics' soundstage and highs.

I like them both, but have returned the Brainwavs. My ear runs a bit big, and feels trapped in factory pads, which the Brainwavs mimic. The Defeans' leather feels a little more robust and pleasing. The grain is thicker, more breatheable, and is becoming softer with use. In contrast, the Brainwavz are a bit more supple, grippy, and more shiny, They grip the skin just a tiny bit more, and the memory foam feels slightly softer.

My roomate prefers the Brainwavz on his v6, it really depends.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #763 of 803
Anyone have a suggestion for the flattest 80mm supra-aural pads?

For my new pair of 40-year-old Pioneer SE-700 piezoelectric film headphones.

20190915_154528.jpg

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #764 of 803
Anyone have a suggestion for the flattest 80mm supra-aural pads?

For my new pair of 40-year-old Pioneer SE-700 piezoelectric film headphones.

AKG K141 pads are 90mm, so they might look a bit strange.
I always thought my SE-700 sounded better with thicker/plush 60mm'ish on-ear pleather pads. Definitely helps with the low-end, but it's been ages since I actually heard them with stock pads.
Sorry, this isn't much help :D

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #765 of 803
AKG K141 pads are 90mm, so they might look a bit strange.
I always thought my SE-700 sounded better with thicker/plush 60mm'ish on-ear pleather pads. Definitely helps with the low-end, but it's been ages since I actually heard them with stock pads.
Sorry, this isn't much help :D

Well, real k141 pads have a hard back, but there are chinese vendors who sell a version with a flange like k240 pads. I would guess those are even bigger.

Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back