The Doves
Jun 7, 2002 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Raymond Kim

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody know the Doves?

Not The Doves, but Doves.

I just saw them live tonight at The Mayan theater in Los Angeles. Their live show was really really good.

I just got their new album, The Last Broadcast, today as well.

I haven't listened to all of it; I plan on doing so tomorrow.

So have any of you heard Doves? If not, you guys should really check this band out. The Lost Souls is a really great album, and it is very well recorded, too, so it should satisfy you audiophiles.

A few songs you should download:

Break Me Gently
Sea Song
Rise
Catch the Sun
The Cedar Room

Their latest single out is "Caught By The River" and it, too, is a great song.

Jun 7, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Doves are great. I picked up the new one but have not listened to it yet. It has a bonus CD with four extra tracks. Lost Souls is one of my faves, very dark, brooding yet uplifting in places when the sun pokes through the clouds. The Cedar Room is a great tune and I love the way the album ends.

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Um...bonus disc? What, prey tell, is on the bonus disc, please?

PS I am a huge Doves fan (well, not huge), got the first album before it was released domestically. Quite good. Totally dig it. Doves and Elbow are coming to (my) town next week, really looking forward to that show.

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Dusty, it's just got four tracks. Hit the Ground Running, Far From Grace, Northernden, and Willow Song.

Oh, and yea, I forgot to mention Elbow, as Dusty did. Elbow opened for Doves and they were really great; my friend took a couple of posters that were posted around the venue after the show.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
Dusty, it's just got four tracks. Hit the Ground Running, Far From Grace, Northernden, and Willow Song.

Yup, found it. Thanks for the heads-up, Beagle. Wouldn't have known to look for it if it weren't for your post...

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I almost bought Doves "lost souls" a couple times after listening to some samples. Manchester sound that would appeal to fans of
classic era Oasis, Stone Roses, James.

BTW I just did but it
cool.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Yup, found it. Thanks for the heads-up, Beagle. Wouldn't have known to look for it if it weren't for your post...

Apparently it is very limited edition. The store where I purchased mine only got 10 and they were gone right away. Glad you were able to find it.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Apparently it is very limited edition. The store where I purchased mine only got 10 and they were gone right away. Glad you were able to find it.

I just had to be the first on my block to get The Last Broadcast .. the copy I received from the UK (pre-US release) did NOT have the bonus disc..
frown.gif
but I'm sure one of my buds will set me up with a copy
evil_smiley.gif

My initial impressions of The Last Broadcast are not as stong as they were with Lost Souls but we'll see how it goes with more time listening..

-jar

Jun 12, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 11
I have the same opinion about Last Broadcast as you, Masonjar. The songs on the album aren't as euphoric as those in Lost Souls.
frown.gif

But then again I didn't really like Lost Souls until I heard it a few times, so I guess Last Broadcast still has some potential.

Jun 12, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought "Lost Souls" a while ago and I liked it but didn't love it. I will listen to some samples from the new record since you guys recommend it.

And yes, "The Cedar Room" is a great tune.

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 11
I have Lost Souls. Radiohead-lite. It was OK. Maybe I'll buy Last Broadcast used down the line.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back