"The Cosmo Pad" VIDEO for hifiman velour or pleather modification
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DoctaCosmos

Headphoneus Supremus
"The Cosmo Pad"

I tried the Jerg pad mod on my He-400 and it did help smooth out the signature of the headphone a little but i still felt like the headphone sounded more like a speaker next to my ears than a headphone. So i decided to try to angle the pads.
Also,  I don't believe there is enough space between your ears and the driver.  There never seamed to be enough air for the dynamics to breath and therefore i feel the headphone shouts at your ears and it became extremely fatiguing. Fortunately, angling the pads pulled the driver away from your ears as you'll see in the video.

This mod was done on an he-400 so i don't know how the mod will sound with the he-500's signature.
The He-400 now sounds like a more all around headphone.  The imaging because absolutely amazing
I believe because the cotton balls dampen the resonance.
I knew it sounded better immediately but once i had a chance to close my eyes and focus on the music, the imaging became 3-d
like.

Side note*
[size=small]I cut these pads up a few nights before and regret not having another pair to start over with for the video[/size]
[size=small]Try the cotton balls without cutting up the pads.  If it's too tight and the cotton balls just get squished instead of expanding the pad then you will need to cut them. [/size]
[size=small]Also, i believe this will work with the pleather pads too.[/size]

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Interesting, I wonder how well this would work INSTEAD of cutting holes in the pleather, as I'd imagine it would dampen the sound quite well

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 5
it really does help  A LOT.  i really did hate my he-400's.  not so much because of the frequency response but because my brain could not comprehend the presentation.  Now i SWEAR TO GOD they have 3-d imaging.  i didn't realize it till i had a good QUIET headphone listening session that allowed me to zone out but when i did i was amazed

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 5
  it really does help  A LOT.  i really did hate my he-400's.  not so much because of the frequency response but because my brain could not comprehend the presentation.  Now i SWEAR TO GOD they have 3-d imaging.  i didn't realize it till i had a good QUIET headphone listening session that allowed me to zone out but when i did i was amazed

Yeah, I get exactly what you mean by "shouty" and I DEFINITELY agree that it becomes more 3-D even with the HE500. I wonder how it will work with the jergpads though, we'll find out when I get my pair in the near future. Currently I tried it on the velour like you have done.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 5
i already did the jerg mod myself and while it did help compared to stock, i prefer my mod more.  no offense to jerg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back