A/B Comparisons - iems, buds, cans, daps, and more - Tips & Impressions
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #226 of 396
Thank you for the kind words ^^
As for my favorites among what I owned, u12t+sp2000t and utopia+hugo tt2 come to mind.
I listen to a wide arrange of genres, and the u12t does most things well. The sp2000t (tube amp mode) adds a little warmth to the u12t, which I really enjoy.
The utopia is a great natural headphone with a little warmth, and the clinical tt2 pairs well with it.

As to what stayed...
I have a few speaker setups that I listen to, so the head gear that stays is normally according to value, not according to sound quality.
So, I normally have my hidition nt-1 ciem (best cheap ciem imo, right now $275 new), and a few buds (lbbs and serratus), as well as a sr25 mk1 or 2 (for portability)
At any given time I normally have either a u12t or a z1r as well.
I tend not to keep headphones for a long times since I have speakers, and they tend to get a bit heavy on my head. ^^
Thank you. U12t and Z1R seem to be winners. Your collection makes sense. Headphone is a middle ground which does not make sense if you can swing IEMs and speakers. I'm an IEM guy myself. I like the portability.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #227 of 396
135. 64 audio tia trio (W) vs campfire audio solaris se:

Tia trio: sounds more as a whole, better layering, tighter bass, more natural, better bass/mids/treble balance, leaner treble.

Solaris se: more bass, airier, more recessed mids, more transparent, clearer background detail.

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #228 of 396
136. 7hz timeless (W) vs moondrop stellaris:

Timeless: more bass, more natural, better layering, wider soundstage, airier, clearer, more expansive, comfier.

Stellaris: leaner mids, has more of a planar/metallic ring to it (especially cymbals and male vocals), harsher treble, better instrument separation, feels a little congested.

I was not a big fan of the stellaris in its comparisons with other planar iems. Its leanness sounds a bit harsh to my ears.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #229 of 396
137. tgxear serratus (W) vs k's earphone bell-lbbs:

Serratus: more bass, wider soundstage, more natural, fuller notes, better imaging, smoother overall, bass tends to overpower mids, vocals more veiled, nothing offensive, better background detail.

Lbbs: leaner mids, harsher treble, a little clearer, more metallic sounding, better bass/mids/trebel balance, better instrument separation, more transparent, tighter bass, sounds more as a whole.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #230 of 396
137. tgx ears serratus (W) vs k's earphone bell-lbbs:

Serratus: more bass, wider soundstage, more natural, fuller notes, better imaging, smoother overall, bass tends to overpower mids, vocals more veiled, nothing offensive, better background detail.

Lbbs: leaner mids, harsher treble, a little clearer, more metallic sounding, better bass/mids/trebel balance, better instrument separation, more transparent, tighter bass, sounds more as a whole.

Interesting comparison! Stand alone impressions for me is that Serratus has a very clean midrange that is in no way veiled by bass - in fact it needs more midbass for my taste. I haven't heard Lbbs so maybe that comparison still stands...

All a matter of taste and heavily subjective I suppose...!

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #231 of 396
Interesting comparison! Stand alone impressions for me is that Serratus has a very clean midrange that is in no way veiled by bass - in fact it needs more midbass for my taste. I haven't heard Lbbs so maybe that comparison still stands...

All a matter of taste and heavily subjective I suppose...!
Yes, likely everything in this hobby, taste and subjectiveness reign. ^^

I have tended to notice that standalone and comparative impressions are a different ball game though (which is why I actually started this thread)
In a standalone impression you are normally comparing it with your "ideal" frequency curve, one which probably does not exist in any item.
But when you are A/Bing 2 items, that ideal frequency does not factor in, but only the actual frequency curves of the two items.
So, it's no surprise that you hear things differently when A/Bing.
Perhaps if I was doing a standalone review, I might not have thought that the bass tends to overpower mids ^^

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #232 of 396
138. fiio m11s (W) vs ibasso dx170:

M11S: a little leaner treble, slightly wider soundstage, tighter bass, better instrument separation, leaner mids, more height, clearer, better bass/mids/treble balance, 2.5mm, faster processor.

Dx170: more bass, more forward mids, smoother overall, volume wheel, better button placement, lighter, higher resolution screen.

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #233 of 396
139. oriolus traillii vs 64 audio u12t (W):

Traillii: wider soundstage, more analog sounding, smoother treble, more natural, better layering, overall fuller notes.

U12t: clearer, more transparent, leaner mids, airier, more bass, better background detail, sounds more as a whole, better instrument separation, overall thinner notes, more forward mids, a little more height.

Although this may seem like a classic tonality vs technicality match the tonality of the u12t is not that unnatural. Sure, it is a little to the lean side, but nothing makes you say, “wow that sounds real off.” Thus, the u12t is a little less natural, but a lot more technical, and that makes it my preferential monitor for now.

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #236 of 396
139. oriolus traillii vs 64 audio u12t (W):

Traillii: wider soundstage, more analog sounding, smoother treble, more natural, better layering, overall fuller notes.

U12t: clearer, more transparent, leaner mids, airier, more bass, better background detail, sounds more as a whole, better instrument separation, overall thinner notes, more forward mids, a little more height.

Although this may seem like a classic tonality vs technicality match the tonality of the u12t is not that unnatural. Sure, it is a little to the lean side, but nothing makes you say, “wow that sounds real off.” Thus, the u12t is a little less natural, but a lot more technical, and that makes it my preferential monitor for now.
U12T is more technical than the birds? Shocking (but good to know) finding for U12T owner like myself :dt880smile:

What do you use to drive them?

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #237 of 396
U12T is more technical than the birds? Shocking (but good to know) finding for U12T owner like myself :dt880smile:

What do you use to drive them?
The strength of the bird is in its tonality and soundstage. Resolution and transparency belong to the u12t imo.
Tbh, I just use whatever i happen to have at that time. mostly AK, chord or ibasso.

May 2, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #238 of 396
140. chord mojo 2 (W) vs a&k se200 akm:

Mojo 2: clearer, more transparent, airier, wider soundstage, better instrument separation, more height, better background detail, a little more forward mids, tighter bass, better layering, leaner mids, faster.

Se200: more bass, a little more natural, a little sharper treble.

May 6, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #239 of 396
141. tgxear serratus vs 64 audio u12t (W):

Serratus: more bass, airier, wider soundstage, more height, nothing sounds harsh, but bass tends to overpower mids, bad microphonics.

U12t: clearer, more transparent, leaner mids, leaner treble, better bass/mids/treble balance, more forward mids, better tighter bass, faster, much better vocals.

I normally don't pit a $200 earbud against a $2000 iem, but I've seen some in the tgx ear thread saying that for them the serratus is up there with their totl iems. Although I really like the serratus I am not of the opinion that it can compete with totl iems or cans.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #240 of 396
142. ibasso dx300 w/ amp11 (W) vs a&k se200 akm:

Se200: leaner mids, leaner treble, a little more bass, more black background.

Dx300: wider soundstage, smoother notes overall, better background detail, more natural, better layering, but more sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back