The Charter Oak PEQ-1
Aug 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tlcocks

100+ Head-Fier
I felt at this point since I’m using the piece with synergistic success in two separate chains that I’d post some history on it. I initially bought it from SoundPure pro audio to insert in the tape loop of my Bryston B135 SST2 integrated amp with onboard dac. That was about 2013. About 3 years after Mike Deming at Charter Oak started producing it. Mike was well know for using highest quality parts and hand crafted attention in making his mics compressors and equalizers and his equipment has always sounded highly musical with excellent resolution and staging. I felt immediately I had struck gold having that EQ of his in my tape loop on my hi fi amp. The sound has always been magical. Even on the best recordings I preferred looping it in with the click of a button. Talk about a true bypass. Clicking out the tape loop you have the true straight source line in. The sound though with loop in has always been preferable. Even as I advanced recently my headphone chain rapidly and my listening skills advancing as well.
So, after years of enjoying this magic sauce in my big rig, I made a friend here on head fi when I purchased the Fostex TH900 and a Mojo2 and started chatting about them on Fostex forum. A really good guy many of you know named Geoff. We have remained close as “odd fellows” because I like to EQ a lot, mainly tone shaping, but Geoff doesn’t do much. Yet we share stories. We share listening observations. I read his excellent reviews, we totally respect each other’s differences in our respective approaches to developing our hi fi chains. It was because of my friendship with Geoff that I built out a much better desktop headphone chain than my Th900 and Mojo2. I now have Matrix Audio X Sabre 3 serving analog high end balanced source material to my Headamp GSX Mini balanced amp and out to my Hifiman HE1000SE, otherwise known affectionately as HEKse. While the sound quality was super, I still felt compelled to try the professional balanced analog mastering EQ by Charter Oak in my chain. Fell in love with it there too. Bought another one used in top notch condition from a studio engineer on Reverb and now I own 2.
Simply put, this piece has uniquely amazing musicality for pro gear and amazing synergy therefore with the robust full throated beautiful mids found in high fi gear. It’s worth noting that I’ve had the pleasure of comparing it in my big rig to multiple analog EQ pieces renowned in mastering circles as well as the Schiit Loki Max. It beat the Avalon AD2055 as well as the Millennia NSEQ4 by a noticeable margin in the more musical and less analytical department. Margins close here though, as all pieces well known in studios across the globe. It TROUNCED the Loki Max. Schiit Loki Max and Lokius are the only “hi fi analog” EQ devices made specifically for audiophiles and home playback systems that I’m aware of. If any of you are acquainted with these EQ’s, I will simply tell you that you have no idea how good tone shaping analog EQ can sound in a high Fi configuration until you’ve heard the Charter Oak. The Schiit products, I’m sorry to say, just aren’t in the same ballpark. The Charter Oak handily beats my my Auralic Aries DSP parametric. Same with Roon’s. Just no contest.
There is one unfortunate caveat though. Mike Deming no longer makes them and hasn’t for at least a few years. A California company has taken over the name and production of the last several years’ units. Mike Deming stays in occasional touch with me and has verified that these units don’t sound as good as his production era ones. So if you look for one online used, check to see if the beautiful gloss faceplate finish has disappeared as well as the numbers on the left and right master gain dials. If so, don’t purchase! Check serial number and bounce it off me. I’ve attached two pics. It’s a beautiful piece. This thread is simply my paying homage to a uniquely synergistic and transformative piece that never quits thrilling me for a decade now. I felt I owed it to Mike and Charter Oak to write about it here, as it’s meant so much to me in my hi fi endeavors. Oh, and Cardas Clear Sky XLR cables highly recommended in connecting your CO to your hi fi amp.
Thanks for letting me share!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 13
This is a great write up and worthy of this amazing piece of equipment. I am the Geoff that Tim is talking about and he is being too nice.

He is correct about the fact that I am not a tone shaper. However, if I was I would follow the advice of Tim and the Charter Oak as I have learned that he is someone who listens intently and loves the ability to play with tone. There is one big difference with a piece of gear like the Charter Oak and something like the Schiit Lokius or Lokius Max. Those are mostly meant to shape the sound of your headphone. To bring up or down certain frequencies to match each person's own tastes. What the Charter Oak does is very different. It is shaping the source file which then enables a good source chain to deal with that file. We all know that some music sounds better than others. I know that some live shows are going to be recorded louder, softer, with more or less bass, etc. The Charter Oak is designed to send that signal to your DAC and Amp the way you want it. Kind of a cool piece of equipment if you ask me. While I will not ever play in that space, I respect this process and understand why someone would want to tinker in this way.

For me, I tinker with tubes, and I tinker with trying to pull out as much noise as possible from my chain so that I can hear music the way it was meant to be recorded and then I decide which headphone I feel will allow me the most enjoyment. Different approach, but for the same end. What my friendship with Tim has taught me is to be more patient and listen as there are so many different ways to enjoy this hobby. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we are sharing music.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 13
This is a great write up and worthy of this amazing piece of equipment. I am the Geoff that Tim is talking about and he is being too nice.

He is correct about the fact that I am not a tone shaper. However, if I was I would follow the advice of Tim and the Charter Oak as I have learned that he is someone who listens intently and loves the ability to play with tone. There is one big difference with a piece of gear like the Charter Oak and something like the Schiit Lokius or Lokius Max. Those are mostly meant to shape the sound of your headphone. To bring up or down certain frequencies to match each person's own tastes. What the Charter Oak does is very different. It is shaping the source file which then enables a good source chain to deal with that file. We all know that some music sounds better than others. I know that some live shows are going to be recorded louder, softer, with more or less bass, etc. The Charter Oak is designed to send that signal to your DAC and Amp the way you want it. Kind of a cool piece of equipment if you ask me. While I will not ever play in that space, I respect this process and understand why someone would want to tinker in this way.

For me, I tinker with tubes, and I tinker with trying to pull out as much noise as possible from my chain so that I can hear music the way it was meant to be recorded and then I decide which headphone I feel will allow me the most enjoyment. Different approach, but for the same end. What my friendship with Tim has taught me is to be more patient and listen as there are so many different ways to enjoy this hobby. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that we are sharing music.
Thanks for the kindest of words here, Geoff. Just wanted though to prevent any confusion with interested readers about one thing though. The Charter Oak is XLR balanced Ins and outs. It’s analog like the Schiit products. It simply sounds way better. Both on loudspeakers and headphones (as I tested both).

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the kindest of words here, Geoff. Just wanted though to prevent any confusion with interested readers about one thing though. The Charter Oak is XLR balanced Ins and outs. It’s analog like the Schiit products. It simply sounds way better. Both on loudspeakers and headphones (as I tested both).
Sorry for the mishap. I think what I was trying to say more than anything is that the Charter Oak is more about shaping the sound of the file than the headphone. As for the particulars, that is beyond my grasp...:)

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Sorry for the mishap. I think what I was trying to say more than anything is that the Charter Oak is more about shaping the sound of the file than the headphone. As for the particulars, that is beyond my grasp...:)
You’ve got it. Exactly

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I’m very appreciative of your openness to and interest in my approach. It’s been fun getting to know you Geoff. And you’ve really brought me along with my headphone chain (and my bank account expenses, haha!)🤣

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 13
I am going to update here as it’s relevant the addition of a new McIntosh piece, MQ112. It’s a made for audiophiles and home hi fi playback high end analog EQ with both unbalanced and balanced connectivity for maximum versatility. It goes for a cool 3 grand. I haven’t heard it yet, but I’m told by friends at Audiogon that it sounds spectacular. I have heard it is easily better than Loki Max. When the first chance comes along I’ll give it a listen.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Do these devices have volume control?

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 13
My Charter Oak has master gain L and R dials. I don’t think the MQ112 does. Gain structure built in to the topology, i guess. That’s common with the pro studio units. But I prefer gain controls. MQ112 though is not made for recording studio. Is made for post production playback.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 13
My Charter Oak has master gain L and R dials. I don’t think the MQ112 does. Gain structure built in to the topology, i guess. That’s common with the pro studio units. But I prefer gain controls. MQ112 though is not made for recording studio. Is made for post production playback.
I ask because McIntosh is famous for using unity gain with their products. Which means 0 is where input and output meet.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 13
I ask because McIntosh is famous for using unity gain with their products. Which means 0 is where input and output meet.
Unity gain can be good or bad. If you’re boosting bands a lot you probably want some control over the gain structure. Like being able to attenuate a little as necessary. I like having master gain control. There’s usually one post EQ master volume that sounds best. Not multiple. And I like the control there to determine that with my ear.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 13
For my device, on flat with EQ in its volume matched at 6. I leave it on 6 99% of the time, but rarely if I’m boosting a bass band on an already loud recording I may need to attenuate master gain slightly. Again, like that ability.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 13
For headphone amps, I hate unity gain. Total pain... But, I can see the value of it with preamps and power amps. McIntosh has been doing unity gain products for years. On the MHA200, zero was at 12 on the volume pot. By 2 the amp was ear splitting loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back