The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady
Jul 11, 2001 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

frankclone

Lambda Lambda Lambda
Charles Mingus strikes me as a superlative jazz musician, but I
can't decide if I really like "Blac Saint." (I have "Ah Um," "Blues & Roots'" "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus")An interesting composition, but it's not "jazz" as I know it (it doesn't"swing") ,the flamenco guitar doesn't seem to fit, & there are a lot of discordant elements. I'll keep listening to it & see if it grows on me.
Any impressions on this piece?

Jul 13, 2001 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 10
I have the same problem with "Tijuana Moods", I just couldn't get into it. I really enjoy "Mingus Ah Um" and "Blues And Roots". Truly great recordings - so we have found a couple of good ones out of a huge catalog, there must be something else we'll like. Since we clicked on two, I'll look for mingus, mingus, mingus, mingus, mingus!

Jul 17, 2001 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 10
I knew Mingus was clever and when I saw "Theme for Lester Young", I thought it may be a version of "Pork-Pie Hat".

For me, Pork Pie Hat is one of my favorite tunes and there are many versions of it that I like. Jeff Beck, George Mraz, Mingus all come to mind.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 10
No to revive a long dead thread, but.....  the title works:

While I love lots of Mingus, if I only had one LP, this would be it.  The question I have is:  Has anyone heard the new 24/96 version on HD Tracks?  I can't decide whether to cheap out and get it, or the new 45rpm double LP.  We know the LP was sourced from the master, with minimal mastering tricks, all in the analog domain.

But what do we know about the provenance of the 24/96 version?  From the mastertape?  Compressed to make it loud?  I'd much rather spend less than $20 to buy the definitive version of this work, one last time time, than more than $50.  But I don't want to purchase another incremental upgrade.....

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 10
The good news is that HD Tracks got back to me very quickly.  The bad news is that they don't know.  They received a 24/96 set of files from the label, and that's as much as they can confirm.

Given how important mastering is, even on a direct digital transcription of the original master stereo tapes (assuming for a moment that that was what was used), that is a drag.  

So I think I have to engage in an experiment, and pick up the 45rpm lps coming out in December, and compare with one of the cheaper single tracks on HD Tracks, and see....  and then make the assumption that other Impulse 24/96 material on HD Tracks will have been sourced and mastered similarly.  

Why use the 45rpm lp as the benchmark?  Because the entire signal chain and mastering process is well documented on those, and from experience seems to pull more out of the master recording than any other re-issue.  So if the HD Tracks file has similar quality, I then become very confident in picking up many of the Impulse recordings they are starting to carry.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Don't have much to add except to say that I thoroughly enjoy this album.  I have only gotten to listened to the much-compressed version of it on Rdio but so for it's excellent.  I'll probably be looking to pick it up in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back