The best of the best speaker...
Jun 23, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #61 of 62
I didn't vote because I don't know if I have ever heard any of these speakers and because the list did not include the Audio Note AN-E/SE Signature or the Martin Designs Coltrane 2 speakers.  However, I have strong feelings about second place.

We owners are fond of referring to any LS3/5A as the "second-best sounding speaker in the world". (And I am equally sure few, if any, of you will agree). Almost all of the current production LS3/5As or their current production offspring (Harbeth, Spendor, etc.) will cost you around $2000.  Originals will cost you around $2000 + .

Anyway, if you need a speaker that will work on almost any amp above 3W and below 200W that will work well in almost any place in a small-medium size room, try this one, notwithstanding the real and imagined limitations you have heard about.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #62 of 62
OK, I know this is a really old post, but I happen to live close to where these Stellar Speakers are.  They are in a small hole in the wall shop that does repairs on vintage equipment. So when I was having my old McIntosh MR71 tuner serviced, just happened to notice speakers were playing in the adjoining room with subwoofer like bass.

Got a demo I still can't get over. Even after going back to make sure I wasn't halucinating, took in some familiar CD's, I still can't believe what I heard!  If you've seen pics of these, they just don't look like anything that could sound THAT GOOD!  Cabinets are nice but the woofer simply doesn't look like it could go that deep, powerful and accurate, pumping out sub-like bass, the most musical I have ever heard!  Very strong down to 30hz and below, not quite as low as my Velodyne 18, but still gut punching deep and totally a part of the music. Goose bumps everywhere!

Now here's what I can't get over, the woofer NEVER moved!  I mean not even a little! "What's with that?" I asked. Was in the cabinet design I was told. Still I couldn't believe my ears.  Those woofers were totally stealth, yet what insane bass! 

Next to the Stellars was a pair of big $5K Mirage 1 speakers, (I owned the 3's a while ago). yes , they sounded good, but then on came the Stellars. How can I say this, The Mirage sounded so inferior in every way imaginable. The Stellars were so much more open, dynamic, and just plain jaw dropping.  So yes, these are amazing and not to be believed!

Looks like I will buy a pair of these soon, but I am even skeptical after hearing them twice! Nothing should sound this good!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back