The ALL NEW Hifiman HE1000 "The Can that Can" sans Rolex Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #62 of 63
4 days is a rubbery figure.

ahhh kk. well then, more generally what changes occur that wld cause (non-tube) dacs to sound different after a certain period of time?

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #63 of 63
Quote:moneyforme247
 @purrin & @Baldr , why does the yggy need 4 days to sound best?? what's this magic thing that winky is referring to? :) thanks

From the thread  Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) in Dedicated Source Components.

Quote:Baldr
  I have been dealing with subjective impressions of cold vs. warmed up D to A converters I have designed for over 30 years.  Where there are many opinions, here are some laws of the engineering physical universe:

In the case of brand new passive components, reliability increases an order of magnitude in each successive 24 hours of burn-in.  In the 1980’s, with through-hole parts, approximately .5% of such parts failed randomly in the first 24 hours.  Today, with surface mount parts, the first 24 hours result in a much lower .01 to .05%.  This is precisely why I burned Theta Gear in for 100 hours back in the 80’s and will burn the Yggys in for 24-48 hours today.

As they burn-in and reach operating temperature, resistors mechanically deform from new and their ohmic value changes.  Typically parts per 100,000.

All resistors have voltage coefficients – this means they change their ohmic value as the voltage across them changes.  In the highest-grade thin film resistors, it is typically 0.005%.  That is 5 parts per 100,000.

All signal capacitors have some percentage of the signal passing through them randomly being absorbed.  This varies from parts per 100 (electrolytic caps) to parts per 100,000 (Teflon).  You guessed it – this varies with temperature.

The DAC in the Yggy is 20 bit -1 part per million considering a 1 lsb linearity error and the fact that there are 2 per channel. 

Now based upon some half assed experiments I have run on myself, I figure my hearing is good to somewhere in the 1 part per 10,000 to 1 part in 100,000, according to the parameter. 

But I am positive that if I can only estimate the quantitative accuracy of my own hearing that I have a very poor idea of what anyone else can hear. 

It seems there are a couple of swingin’ dix on this thread who have decided what others can hear.  You may well have more meaning and friends in life if you just keep your arrogance to yourself.

Stuff warms up – what is trivial sonically to some matters to others.  Nothing is broken because it performance varies within the above parameters over time.

Edited by Baldr - 3/29/15 at 9:02pm

Quote:Baldr
  Some further clarification re warmup:

I leave my sources on all the time at home. It is convenient for me and workable as I notice improvements over time temperature with NOT just D/A converters but amps, etc.etc. Purrin and others have also noticed this effect.

When I went on record 30 years ago with the Theta gear to leave it on four days I received a myriad of replies. Every thing from, “Screw you, I won't buy it if I have to leave it on” to “Mine sounded fine after a few hours.”

We have a very limited amount of pre-production Yggys floating around in the field. Most who have heard them are demanding listeners who are expert at hearing any flaws in equipment. YMMV.

Old Thetas I have heard don't seem to change over such a period of time. Perhaps they more “permanently” burned in. I have no idea, nor the time to study such matters statistically.

From time to time I have listened to other digital gear, and in my humble opinion, it gets better over a long period of time. The relevant consideration with much of this gear is, do I really want to keep listening to it that long?  Apparently the listeners to new Yggys wanted to keep going.

So don't get trapped in relative matters for gear you have never heard.

I have yet to hear a D/A converter that does not improve in its first week of life. Anybody's. Period.

I have nothing to say about other D/A converters other than my own because I have not heard them. I may be loud, old and opinionated, but have never commented on experiences I lack.

YMMV.

Oh, I forgot – YMMV.

And did I say, YMMV.

Gee, I hope this helps ad Baldr is from Schiit Audio who designed the Yggdrasil and Theta DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back