the album that grew on you
Oct 29, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Okedoke -- damn it, I told myself I couldn't stand the album -- but I'm gonna give it a whirl again.

<<< >>>

hopefully, Flasken has done something here to make that double-disc SP album grow on me.

The "theme" of the album feels sort of blurred until you get to know the cds better. At first the songs sound like they're nothing special at all... I like the fact that the message in each song is quite understated. This makes the album give a much larger impact when you've heard it through a few times and know it. Plus, I think some of the songs are just plain masterpieces... Bodies is probably my favorite rock song ever. But I really do think the other songs also express the feelings they are supposed to beautifully.

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 21
Drive Like Jehu : s/t

awesome album, definately an early precursor to bands like at the drive-in and and you will know us by the trail of dead... very intense, but it kinda sounded like boring, unemotional noisy music at first. then it just grew on me. very re-listenable, very epic, very intense, very awesome

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 21
The album that grew on me most was probably Maybe I'll Catch Fire by Alkaline Trio. I had read a lot of really good things about it before I listened to the album, so I admit I had pretty high expectations. Still though, listening to it the first time through, I couldn't think of any reason why someone would think it was great, much less any good. I wasn't very patient back then as far as letting music grow on me, so I dismissed the album and band as crap and moved on. Well, sure enough I caught myself 3 or so weeks later walking around, singing the songs from that album to myself without realizing it.
rolleyes.gif
So then I thought, hmmm...maybe this band doesn't suck as much as I previously believed and I was too quick to write them off? They're one of my favorites now...

That tells you something about popular music though...many of the songs of artists and bands played on the radio are specifically made to be "radio hits"; songs that will be catchy and instantly likeable. The truth is though, these songs tend to have a short lifespan, and we get sick of hearing them fast. The songs that don't strike you immediately as being awesome or genious, the ones with real substance that have to grow on you first, these are the real ones that we treasure and never grow tired of.

My $.02 for what it's worth.

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 21
one of many: Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie..."

It took me many months to listen to both cds entirely. Simply one of the best rock albums out there. Much better than Siamese Dream.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 21
X-Dream - Irritant

It's very monotonic bassy psy-trance stuff. I hated it the first umpteen times i heard it. It just seemed very boring and uninteresting. But recently it's been the one labum i keep coming back to listen to. There are still tracks on it i just can't stand. but some of them i just really like now. I've been enjoying it even more so since i got my 770's as well.

actually. this can be said for almost all of x-dream's track's i've listened to. i hate 90% of to start then end up liking em. (and there's the 10% i just plain don't like)

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 21
Going way back -- Aerosmith, Rocks. It was by far the hardest thing I had ever heard when I got it. It has definitely since grown on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back