The Advantages Of Old School Mid-Fi
Oct 31, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 27
I have all that on my AVR, but they bury the controls in the remote control menus so you have to dig for them every time you use them.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 27
The best use case scenario for California 1925 is to destroy your vinyl collection. I wouldn't spin any records that I care for

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 27
The best use case scenario for California 1925 is to destroy your vinyl collection. I wouldn't spin any records that I care for
Huh? What are you trying to say?

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 27
Huh? What are you trying to say?

Such all in one turntables are far from mid-fi. For sure it will damage your records pretty quickly. In mid-fi tier you can get used “thorens 160” for 100$ with antiskating and adjustable weight and you would actually hear a decent sound.

This vintage boom box is good to be used as a furniture for home grown plants, not as a real vinyl experience

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 27
I have a Thorens TD-165. You can't play 78s on that. This player won't damage shellac 78s. They're designed to be played on acoustic machines with MUCH higher tracking weight. 78s don't wear out from playing. And this player is capable of reproducing every frequency contained in a 78.

This particular player is mono, not stereo, so it doesn't really make sense to play modern LPs on it, but it would do perfectly fine with early mono coarse groove LPs and 45s. No problem with damage there either. Mono LPs sound very good on this phonograph. Stereo records would play fine too, but they wouldn't be stereo.

I have tens of thousands of records and all different kinds of record players. I grew up playing 78s and LPs. Most records are damaged from mishandling, not playing. As long as your record player is in align, has a needle in good condition, and is working properly, you're good to go.

Record wear is generally overstated by people who have only played records in the CD era. Audiophiles are totally clueless about it.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #22 of 27
I have tens of thousands of records and all different kinds of record players. I grew up playing 78s and LPs. Most records are damaged from mishandling, not playing. As long as your record player is in align, has a needle in good condition, and is working properly, you're good to go.

This is a bold and misleading statement. If you own that many records you should know that Incorrectly set up toneram will make a huge degradation in sound quality of your turntable. Best needle in the market on inappropriately adjusted toneram can sound like crap

I still rather play poor records on decent turntable that can do 78.Nothing to do with mid-fi here even between old vintage players. It seems that you collected LP’s just for the sake of it and collection doesn’t hold value to you, neither its valued on market. In that regard its ok I guess

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 27
Note that I mentioned “properly aligned”. Records were designed to be played on record players. They don’t wear out if the record player is working properly.

I doubt you’ve ever had any experience at all with 78s. You certainly don’t know anything about me and my collection. I think you’re pretending.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #24 of 27
Note that I mentioned “properly aligned”. Records were designed to be played on record players. They don’t wear out if the record player is working properly.

I doubt you’ve ever had any experience at all with 78s. You certainly don’t know anything about me and my collection. I think you’re pretending.

Badly designed record player with cheap tonearm can damage records. This is like a rule of thumb for such all in one boxes. Bluetooth, EQ, mic input.... all these extra functionalities look pleasing for consumer, but in reality it's a piece of junk. I have many inquiries when people want simple all in one solution and my answer is always the same "stick to the digital and don't bother". The end result is always the same.. they buy few vinyls, play around for a bit and because it sounds crap, leaves it to collect dust or at best uses it as a bluetooth speaker.

Haven't heard 78's, but for sure I would give it a go if I would find records that are worth to try. I only know few vinyl hobbyists here, no offense bet the rest..usually is just a big talk. Of course the common perception that with vinyls we listen to low-fi doesn't help too, but I'm well past the point to prove otherwise

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #25 of 27
There are many more 78s than there are LPs or CDs. 78s spanned 1900 to 1960. That is an ocean of different kinds of music. It ranges from ragtime to the Beatles.

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #27 of 27
Please Please Me, Love Me Do, I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Eight Days A Week, Rock & Roll Music... There were a bunch of them. They were released on the Parlophone label in India.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back