Terratec 24/96 Question
Sep 12, 2004 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

refault

100+ Head-Fier
Since my SR-71 has a gain of 6 I was wondering if I could turn the volume up on the card itself without any quality/clipping problems.

terratec.jpg

Do I turn the volume up on the Analog Out setting to 0.00 DB? I notice if i touch the WavePlay Analog dial and push it up to 0.00 DB I get those blinking red/yellow lights above the DB meter in Analog Out (does this mean it's clipping?)

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
Do I turn the volume up on the Analog Out setting to 0.00 DB? I notice if i touch the WavePlay Analog dial and push it up to 0.00 DB I get those blinking red/yellow lights above the DB meter in Analog Out (does this mean it's clipping?)

Thanks!

Yes, that does indicate clipping. Also, I noticed you have the line-level set to +4db. Unless you're running a balanced connection to your amp then you should set it to -10db.

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Yes, that does indicate clipping. Also, I noticed you have the line-level set to +4db. Unless you're running a balanced connection to your amp then you should set it to -10db.

What difference really does +4db and -10db make? So, is it ok to adjust the Analog Out to 0DB (as I get no clipping lights) but not the WavePlay control?

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

What difference really does +4db and -10db make?

+4 is for balanced professional equpiment, while -10 is for consumer or unbalanced professional equipment. If you use +4 on gear designed for -10 you'll get bad distortion/clipping.

Quote:

So, is it ok to adjust the Analog Out to 0DB (as I get no clipping lights) but not the WavePlay control?

Yes.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
+4 is for balanced professional equpiment, while -10 is for consumer or unbalanced professional equipment. If you use +4 on gear designed for -10 you'll get bad distortion/clipping.

This goes for playback too (and not just recording?) I don't notice any clipping or distortion at +4dBu (and also think I get more "impact" out of the music, I don't know though.)

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

This goes for playback too (and not just recording?) I don't notice any clipping or distortion at +4dBu (and also think I get more "impact" out of the music, I don't know though.)

Whatever works. As long as you aren't getting any clipping or distortion you should be fine.

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

From my understanding once there is clipping (red lights), there is no way to prevent it. The clipping (i.e. peaks are cut off) is already in the file - reducing the "waveplay analog" volume will prevent the red lights from being triggered, but it won't bring back the sound information lost before. So it should not matter at all if there is red light or not.

IMHO the only way to introduce (or prevent) clipping while playing files is if player software amplifies the output. This might be the case when using an equalizer plugin. I faced this problem recently that a lot of music was clipping - until I noticed my foobar2000's equalizer settings. Foobar2000 faces this problem with a function called "auto level", which normalizes the custom set band volume levels by shifting them in a way that the most amplified band(s) reach no more than 0dB.

Disclaimer: This is solely based on my interpretation of the 24/96's control panel.

herbie

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I've always used that setting. Its far too quiet at the other setting for my tastes, and as you say it seems to have more impact to the sound.

PB
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back