Tangerine Letdown
Dec 12, 2001 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

frankclone

Lambda Lambda Lambda
Picked up Tan. Dream's 2CD anthology, "Dream Sequence"
Disappointing to me--am I missing something?
They're more interesting sonically than musically. Mike
Oldfield or Frank Zappa (Jazz from Hell) do interesting things
with synth in the service of the music. T. Dream just seems to
gradually add layers of minimalist cycles of sound phrases.
Is that what I'm missing, one has to be a minimalist & just
let sonic waves wash over you?

Dec 12, 2001 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Tangerine dream can be a little inconsistant, I like some of their stuff a lot and other stuff not at all.. but I find just relaxing and having them there as background music is nice.

Something I have to be in the mood for as well really
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I am not familiar with that particular compilation, though I am a huge Tangerine Dream fan.

It seems that exactly what you said -- "...do interesting things with synth in the service of the music..." -- is exactly what they are about, especially during what many consider to be the golden years (from approximately Phaedra through around just before Le Parc). Does that have much material from, E.G., Tangram, Force Majeure, White Eagle, etc.? I guess I can look it up, but I'm at work right now...

Dec 12, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm also a big Tangerine Dream fan, but a lot of their stuff does leave me cold. I have to say they're hit or miss. Some of the early stuff (which may be on your compliation, I don't know it) was minimalist pscyhedelic mood music - wind rushing, electronic bird screams, thumbing bass line kind of stuff - and it sounds a bit dated and unsophisticated now. Some of their later stuff, post early 80s got caught up too much in the Gorgio Moroder sly synth sound and sounds a little trite and also dated. But I never seem to go wrong with there live albums, (I love "Logos" and "Poland" ed. Yipes! forgot "Ricochet" before) I'd say that recordings from the early 70s-early 80s are especially good. The way they worked with drums patterns and programmed synths sequences was ground-breaking and couple with the live guitar work by Edgar Froese, the founder, they were capable of transporting you into their special musical "happening" on stage. So, don't write them off completely, you might find an album you'll love from them.

Dec 16, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I own "Tyranny of Beauty" and enjoy it quite a bit. I've also heard "Le Parc" and one with a sunset thunderstorm over a desert on the cover, and wasn't too impressed with either, except for a song called "Chia Maroon" on the latter.

Given those preferences, which other TD albums should I look at?

Dec 16, 2001 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by gloom
I own "Tyranny of Beauty" and enjoy it quite a bit

I was just about to put the same thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back