System volume vs. Speakers Volume: Which is best?
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr.Gump

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a new pair of speakers. They are the M-Audio StudioPro 3's and I will be using them on my notebook computer.

Some details:

Computer- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 4 gigs RAM, Nvidia 9600M GT

Sound Devices- Microsfot High Definition Audio Device, Nvidia High Definition Audio, SRS Audio Sandbox (WDM)

At the moment, I have my physical speakers knob set to its maximum placement and I also have my windows sound slider at maximum. I am currently adjusting the overall volume of my system using the main slider in SRS Audio Soundbox.

Is the above method the best way to get the most out of my speakers, even at low volumes? Do you have any thoughts?

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 9
In general, you set the source as high as you can go without distortion and control volume at the speaker end. This keeps your signal as "clean" as possible, otherwise it gets compressed and expanded again.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Set the Windows and all digital volume at 100% and use the speaker's/amplifier's volume to control the volume.

Haha too slow.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, you set the source as high as you can go without distortion and control volume at the speaker end. This keeps your signal as "clean" as possible, otherwise it gets compressed and expanded again.

Thank you for that, I see now that I had it all backwards.

I have now turned all software sounds bars to maximum and I am adjusting volume using the speakers.

Quick question.

Using your method, i notice that I only need to turn the physical volume up on my speakers very little to get the desired volume. Is that normal? I mean, I am basically turning it very little and it gets loud without turning much. Should I be concerned that I am not giving them enough power? FYI, They run on a power cable seperate from my system.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Set the Windows and all digital volume at 100% and use the speaker's/amplifier's volume to control the volume.

Haha too slow.
biggrin.gif

thank you too
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 9
If I do this on my speakers then I set my speakers to 10% volume it's ridiculous loud. Set windows to 70 volume, that's what my manual says anyways.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Sometimes I need to back off the windows volume by a few notches to prevent distortion. This is especially true on the heaphone output on computers. Sometimes it's higher than line-level at maximum.

When using an external dac this seems to be less of an issue. They are meant to be plugged into an amplifier.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes, this suggestions of maxing the volume pertains to line level devices.
If your device has any kind of "extra" amplification built in beyond a line driver then this suggestion does not apply.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 9
The speaker volume is better to use as there in no truncation of data that way as you can leave the software volume up all the way. However the DACs on many soundcards are so good now that it really doesn't seem to matter much & the resolution of the speakers in question is probably not enough to make it matter which you use on anything that uses a recent DAC.

My system sounds just as good either way & I really think that the DACs are key in this as they have supurb linearity no matter what the volume is. My speakers have really high resolution. Running Windows Vista or Windows 7 in any of the 24 bit modes will take care of most of the truncation issues as distortion will be pushed way down below -100db. Inaudible by any stretch of the imagination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back