System of a Down - Golden Ear Winner!
Dec 17, 2001 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't believe it when I read in my latest copy of TAS that one writer had awarded System of a Down - "Toxicity" a Golden Ear award.
eek.gif
I had to look at the cover to make sure I was reading TAS. Usually these guys have nothing to do with Rock music much less Hard Rock like this. I was just amazed!

B000021YQV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dec 17, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 9
It IS a good recording, for that genre of music. It has some dynamics, impact and great snare sound. Rick Rubin is OK...

It's pretty hard to find good rock recordings these days. There are rock recordings from the mid 60s that trash todays feeble or misguided attempts at sound.

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
rick rubin did some rage against the machine! hey who produced soad's first album??

Their first album was also produced by Rick Rubin. He's also worked with the Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys.

May 7, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 9
I put off buying this forever as I'm really not a big fan of the heavy metal idiom. Hobbits and Satan don't interest me much. Nevertheless, I love great rock 'n roll and I'm not afraid of loud and hard music.

Anyway, I really liked the 2 songs I heard on the radio so I took a chance and got Toxcicity from my CD club for $2.99.

I can tell this will be the beginning of a beuatiful friendship! Wow! It will take many spins to fully take all this in. Mind-blowing performances, thought-provoking songs, a political edge, and HELL YA it sounds INCREDIBLE.

I would say this album is an obvious 10 out 10 classic, but still I must deduct .5 points as a "heavy-metal" penalty.
cool.gif
If I had one criticism it's that it's a little hystrionic and melodramatic in that heavy metal way.

Anyway, way recomended from an indie rock snob!

markl

May 7, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 9
yeah, SOAD is one of the few bands on the radio that doesn't make me bitter about the current state of music. It's certainly listenable, and if I'm in the right mood it's pretty damn cool.

May 7, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 9
I swear, it's that whole Armenian aura..........

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back