Survey - PCDP versus MP3 players?
Feb 27, 2003 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HendrixFreak

Head-Fier
I've seen a lot of info on best PCDP, and also on optimal rip/encode to MP3. I would like to hear who thinks that playing a CD on a good PCDP will always be better than doing a rip/encode to MP3 and playing on a good MP3 player, or who thinks that it is possible to start with a CD and end up with an audibly identical, if not better, result on MP3.

Personally I would base my opinion on the best rip/encode possible - say using EAC and encode to CBR 320 (--alt-preset insane). My initial guess was that it could never be as good as playing the original CD since SOMETHING will get lost, but I can see that it could be as good or better since a good rip could actually result in a better source image than the CD player, in real time, can get.

I know this kind of duplicates other thread on NJB3 "mistake" but I still am not convinced. I still need to do blind tests but for now it still seems to me that the very best rip/encode I can do still sounds different (in negative way) to playing the CD. I'm doing this on the same equipment - play CD on my laptop, then play MP3 file also on laptop. Still seems like I hear some kind of distortion that is not pleasing.

Anyone interested in providing opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back