Surge Protectors
Jul 15, 2005 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok so I hope no one here's crazy enough to plug their expensive equipment directly into the outlet without surge protection regardless of the effect it may or may not have on sound quality.

I'm about to build a power line filtration unit based on a few chokes and caps to ease my mind whether something like this can infact improve sound and can infact possibly kill dynamic range. Personally I think it's a load of crock but I have too much money.

I'd like to incorperate some degree of surge protection into the device itself so I do not need to use an external surge protectro as well. I was wondering what exaclty is in these. As far as I can tell they all use MOVs. for 240v applications I was looking at a few 275VAC MOVs with 710V clamping voltage and 6500A peak current in parallel (actual current will be limited by termal circuit breakers).

Is this all there is too it for the commercial Surge protectors? What about the indicator light? How does that work? With a few of the said MOVs in parallel can I safely omit my surge protector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back