Superbit DVDs
Oct 18, 2001 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody try any Superbit DVDs yet? I was thinking of getting one and checking it out. I don't know if it would make any difference on my modest Zenith 32" TV.

Oct 18, 2001 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 8
I got the fifth element superbit the very day it was out (but of course...). It looks really good, but then the original looked great too and I don't have it to do a direct comparison. Also, you get DTS soundtrack.

Oct 19, 2001 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Superbits are the equivalent of an audiophile version of your favorite CD but they are no frills when it comes to extra content.
The thing is I have some great quality DVDs that are loaded to the gills with extras and I like extras.
Its what got me to buy DVDs in the first place.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I’m torn between the videophile in me and the extra eye candy I want(actually some extra content is very good).

Oct 19, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Out of 100 DVDs I own, I watched extra content on maybe two or three... Audio commentarys can be nice but the rest are just "making of", trailers, video spots etc., which I couldn't care less for... So superbit is ok by me.

Oct 19, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 8
But, I love films and I want to know as much about them as possible. All the stuff extras that you may find boring, I can't get enough of. The more extras the better! Rent some superbit DVDs and you can see if they are worth it. It would be best to rent the superbit version of a dvd that you have and do some a/b test. A great player, cables, and TV are a must to be able to tell the difference in picture and a great speaker set for the sound.

Oct 19, 2001 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I saw one of these at best buy and was wondering about it... I don't think my Toshiba TV/DVD combo would really show that much difference. May pick one up just to see though...

Anyway, while on the subject of DVDs, I just picked up The Emperor's New Groove - The Ultimate Groove Edition. It's one of those super fancy Disney special editions. Cost alot, but it's awesome! I love the movie, and it's got tons of great extras, so I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Superbit dvd has approximately double the (average?) bit rate of standard DVDs. The space for it comes from omitting the special features mostly, second/third language etc. The difference is supposed to be similar to when you use higher quality (bigger) jpg - more detail and less compression artifacts. My guess is that it's subtle and that you need a good large screen TV and component out to appreciate it, but the difference might be easier to pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back