Super (capacitor) charging your iFi Zen Can (and other zen products and possibly other manufacturers)
Jun 10, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #272 of 300
Thor,

Would upping the value of the Elna capacitors on the board of the Zen Can have a better effect on the power of the Zen Can than the supercapacitor bank?

No. They are not in the powersupply (Zen CAN not DAC) but in the Output stage.

Or would it be similar?

No, it would do nothing meaningful.

Thor

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #273 of 300
Thanks to Thorsten Loesch and Sunjam. You lured me into soldering, even though I have no experience, but there was a result, it was interesting :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: I replaced c201 c101 c321 and c410 with 6SEP820M. ELNA Silmic is coming, I'll put it on c410. I won’t touch c411 and OPA, it’s too small. The sound became more musical and more open :smile_phones:
Cool, welcome to the ZEN DAC DIY club :L3000:

It seems to me that you replaced the OS CON capacitors (originally in 330/470 uF) to 820 uF. It is interesting to find out that only a "small(?)" change in capacitance would end up giving noticeable differences. I thought the type change would cause bigger difference (e.g. from generic electrolyte type to OS CON).

I am wondering if I should change the 470uF OS CON on my Zen DACs to 1000uF.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #275 of 300
If I get the Zen DAC Sig. will the ipowerX be good for it?

How much current does the Zen DAC Sig like?
I think you mentioned it likes 5.3v
But how about current?

Cheers

Not much current, 500mA should be enough. Any really quiet powersupply will do fine. I liked linear + DIY SCB better for less cost.

Thor

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #276 of 300
Not much current, 500mA should be enough. Any really quiet powersupply will do fine. I liked linear + DOY SCB better for less cost.

Thor

Which you modded a bit with your own diodes only?

Yeah I’m pretty intrigued by your Zen Can, ( I’m listening to it now) so I want to see how the Zen Dac compares to my benchmark DAC3

Listening to this now through the Zen Can Sig and loving it.
Thank god you listen to Metal, or else if someone who mostly listens to Jazz would have made the Zen Can all polite and classical would sound cr$pay on it. No balls
Classical needs tons of dynamics, balls and transient speed, or else something like strings will sound like one big mess of mush.

Cheers
5099921621307.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #277 of 300
Which you modded a bit with your own diodes only?

Details in the first post in the thread.

Classical needs tons of dynamics, balls and transient speed, or else something like strings will sound like one big mess of mush.

Full tilt orchestral Crescendo at the Finale of St Saens #3 separates the boys and men of amplification.

Or Respighi...

I love "big classical".

Thor

Jun 11, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #278 of 300
Details in the first post in the thread.

Full tilt orchestral Crescendo at the Finale of St Saens #3 separates the boys and men of amplification.

Or Respighi...

I love "big classical".

Thor

Thanks for reminding me of that St Saens concerto. I have the Perlman one in my library. And one Organ one as well.

Yup, or Beethoven’s 9th. The original metal

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #279 of 300
Not much current, 500mA should be enough. Any really quiet powersupply will do fine. I liked linear + DIY SCB better for less cost.

Thor

Is the transient response of the linear PSU faster than the Ifi SMPS? Or does the supercapacitor bank make that redundant ?

I just read that linear power supplies are faster.
Is that a reason you told me to change the cheap caps in the ipowerX to Panasonic Os Cons?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #280 of 300
Is the transient response of the linear PSU faster than the Ifi SMPS? Or does the supercapacitor bank make that redundant ?

In both cases I suspect that the cable and DC Socket dominate.

Or the SCB if fitted.

I just read that linear power supplies are faster.

That is like saying: "A squid eating dough in a Polyethylene bag Is fast and bulbous, got me?"

Without a range of qualifications this simply untrue.

For example, if I use a US made On-Semi switching IC with 132khz switching frequency, theoretically I can make a feedback loop that will regulate to over 50khz. In practice the isolating Optocoupler limits bandwidth, but a competent designer can easily achieve 33khz regulation bandwidth.

The LT1085 which is "linear" and is one of the better linear regulators for high power has a regulation bandwidth of under 1khz.

Ergo, the linear supply in our case is "slower" and the switching supply is "faster".

Does it really matter in context, depends. As I stated the Zen Can is a special case due to how the powersupply is implemented.

Is that a reason you told me to change the cheap caps in the ipowerX to Panasonic Os Cons?

More like, it was designed originally for better capacitors.

Thor

Jun 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #281 of 300
It seems to me that you replaced the OS CON capacitors (originally in 330/470 uF) to 820 uF.
There were two 560 and 330 uf.
It is interesting to find out that only a "small(?)" change in capacitance would end up giving noticeable differences. I thought the type change would cause bigger difference (e.g. from generic electrolyte type to OS CON).

I am wondering if I should change the 470uF OS CON on my Zen DACs to 1000uF.
There is a difference in sound, but it is minimal, I would like more. I still can’t wait for ELNA Silmic to arrive to replace the c410, maybe it will be better then?
You probably shouldn’t change OS CON to 1000 uf, although you can try, because everyone’s hearing is different. :sweat_smile:

Jun 11, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #285 of 300
For me half the fun is doing these upgrade exeriments.
Just seeing what they do to the sound is very cool and fun as well as educating.

Thanks Thor for helping us out along the way
Agree. The more messages in this topic, the stronger the desire to do something with the sound. :smile: it's captivating. Although Zen sig stack sounds very good in stock. After Xonar essence st and some Topping models, turning on Zen sig seemed to take the cotton out of my ears. Zen sounded so shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back