Summit Fi Gear Overview
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HBen

500+ Head-Fier
Introduction

Dear fellow head-fiers,

on this journey towards audio nirvana which many of us are on, we search for audio gear and related information for hours, weeks and years with no end in sight :)

I'm spending a lot of time reading, testing and searching as well but I always wondered if there is somewhere some overview or comprehensive list of high end gear to be considered - but to my surprise could'nt find any.
There are some extremely valuable threads out there, like David's epic "Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)", however sadly David hasn't updated it ever since and so far no other overview and review I read ever came close in my opinion.

In an attempt at least make a simple list for myself of what to consider and search for - and also to provide an overview of what's around for everyone who might find this helpful I decided to make this humble post.

This overview is by no means meant be be rating/grading the gear here, it is simply an overview. (at this point whatsoever)

The problematic part however is what and what not to include because by this I actually "grade" of what I consider summit fi and what not. You might disagree with me but since this is "my" list and since I am human, make mistakes and have limited knowledge, I may include to be on the list whatever I consider appropriate to my best knowledge.

I start with a list of "Over Ear Headphones" which can be bought new, and may expand it when I find time to continue working on this thread.
On a sidenote: I will not include all "version 1, version 2", and so on, just the basic names mostly. I know there is no perfect way to cut the line here, I'll just make it as I find it kind of makes sense :wink: Also, I deciced to post not more than 4 headphones per brand.
So here we go:

Over Ear Headphones (in production)

AKG Pro K812
AKG Pro K872
AKG N90Q

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD3
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC

Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

Beyerdynamic T1 (+AKT1p)
Beyerdynamic T5p

EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000

Ergo AMT

Final Audio Design Sonorus X
Final Audio Design Sonorus VIII

Focal Utopia
Focal Elear

Fostex TH900 (+mk2)

Grado GS2000e
Grado PS1000e
Grado GS1000e

Hifiman ShangriLa
Hifiman Susvara
Hifiman HE1000 (V2)
Hifiman HEX (V2)

Jecklin Float QA

JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266 (+Phi)

Kennerton Odin

Koss ESP950

McIntosh MPH1000

Mr Speakers Ether Flow
Mr Speakers Ether Flow C
Mr Speakers Aeon

Oppo PM-1

Pioneer SE-Master 1

Sennheiser Orpheus
Sennheiser HD 800S
Sennheiser HD 800

Sonoma Model One

Stax SR-009
Stax SR-007 MK2
Stax SR-L700

Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series

Ultrasone Tribute 7
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited
Ultrasone Edition 8
Ultrasone Edition 10

ZMF Atticus
ZMF Eikon

------------------------------------------

If you know any others I might need to include/have forgotten, please let me know so I can update the post. Thanks and have fun on your headphone journey :)

Also if someone feels knowledgable enough or has time for doing the research, feel free to also post your own lists of "summit fi-worthy" in ears, DAC's, headphone amplifiers, DAP's, discontinued over ear headphones and so on. If not before me, I might do some additonal lists myself :)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 5
reserved

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
reserved

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 5
There is like 6-7 flagship headphones that most people consider tops from your list.

Focal Utopia
Hifiman Susvara
Hifiman HE1000
JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266/Phi)
Sennheiser HD 800/S
Stax SR-009
Stax SR-007 MK2

Maybe the LCD-4 as well.

The rest don't really compare to them.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 5
The Grado PS1Ke has been replaced by the new 2Ke.
I don't think the GS1Ke and 2Ke are both being produced, just the latter.

The Hifiman HEK has been replaced by the V2. It's a very different headphone, so the distinction is important.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back