Suggestions to make less bright
Jan 27, 2004 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Theresamarie1

100+ Head-Fier
What would you suggest to make my system less bright?
B&K pre-amp and amplifier (using phono stage of pro-5)
HK T65C turntable
Tara Labs Axiom/Prime interconnects.
Blue Point cartridge
Klipsch Forte Speakers

The bluepoint adds details over the grado at the expense of added noise and brightness. Is there a way to get to a happy medium?

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 4
I once owned a Blue Point and used it on a Rega Planer II and it was very bright. I don't know which Grado you were using but I find the Platinum or Sonata to be far superior. They are detailed and rich sounding with no brightness or glare. I liked the Blue Point at first but it didn't give me a vinyl sound. It reminded me of digital... and that was why I didn't keep it. One other option is the Shure V15 but it is not as tight as the Grado on the bottom end.
You could also upgrade the Phono Stage and use the Grado phono stage with the Grado cartridge. I don't know what would happen with the Blue Point/Grado Phono stage - I never got to try the two together. If you want to try this I will send you my Grado phono stage just to check it out. No charge, 15-20 days to use it and send it back. Give me a call if you want to give it a listen. All I ask for in return is your feedback here ...

Todd

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
You could also upgrade the Phono Stage and use the Grado phono stage with the Grado cartridge. I don't know what would happen with the Blue Point/Grado Phono stage - I never got to try the two together. If you want to try this I will send you my Grado phono stage just to check it out. No charge, 15-20 days to use it and send it back. Give me a call if you want to give it a listen. All I ask for in return is your feedback here ...

Todd

[this is a good offer!]

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
I once owned a Blue Point and used it on a Rega Planer II and it was very bright. I don't know which Grado you were using but I find the Platinum or Sonata to be far superior. They are detailed and rich sounding with no brightness or glare. I liked the Blue Point at first but it didn't give me a vinyl sound. It reminded me of digital... and that was why I didn't keep it. One other option is the Shure V15 but it is not as tight as the Grado on the bottom end.

Todd

Todd, thank you for the generous offer and I'd definately post the feedback. The only thing I'd say is that it's probably a little over what I want to spend on a phono amp right now but I'd love to try it. I will give you a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back