Suggestions In Boosting My Mac's Sound..??
Aug 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

averagewhiteboy

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Long time browser.

I'm a Mac guy. Sorry.

Getting that out of the way, here's what I've got.. I'm on my second Mac.. Got a Macbook Pro about 4 years ago, and replaced that with the new slim Macbook because of the immensely improved battery life.. It is my main computer (used it for school).. I use iTunes, and either listen to music through my new (but well burned in) Turbine Pro Gold's or my "eh" set of Creative 3.1 speakers.. I got these a few years ago to replace some Boston Acoustic's I had that finally went..

After much research, I picked up a set of Turbine Pro Gold's a few weeks ago.. I finally got the fitment issues fixed by picking up a set of Comply tips, as none of the supplied tips stayed in my ears for extended periods without hurting.. I listen to my headphones often times for hours at a crack.. So comfort is a huge problem.. These helped nicely.. Regardless, these are great headphones.. 

Now after having a truly great pair of IEM's (even backed by you guys at Head-Fi) I've noticed that my sound from my source is very important.. It used to be that my music sounded acceptable regardless, however with GOOD headphones, you can notice a song sounding truly bad at a lower bit rate.. So without bit rate being an issue here, I'd like to really boost my units output..

hitting quickly on the desk speakers though, in school, our studio had some M-Audio speakers.. They were not a 2.1 with sub, but just two INCREDIBLE speakers.. They sounded better in every way to my 2.1's I have, and only were cased in two speakers.. I don't know which model, but for reference sake, let's say they were the ones in the link below..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-studiophile-av-40-powered-reference-speaker-system-pair

So that I have some good headphones, I know that I also need some good "regular" speakers.. I'd probably get something like that for my next computer speakers..

Back to the Mac.. Sound through the Mac sounds perfectly fine.. I have the EQ and everything set to my liking, but I'm sure there's more I can do.. But is there anything I can do internally to the laptop, or is that only attainable within the desktop brethren? If only desktop, could it be done to the iMac AND Mac Pro, or only the Mac Pro? I know that on all of my Dad's PC's he gets the "upgraded sound card", but I never really knew about any such option for Macs.. If this isn't doable, would you suggest any type of desktop amp? I'm not looking to spend a billion dollars for truly professional quality, however spend a reasonable amount of money on a product that will truly enhance my overall experience..

I am a diehard music lover.. All genres.. And I really love to "feel" the music.. By purchasing the Pro Gold's, I'm on my way to doing so much better than before.. So I'd like to know where to go from here.. So, any suggestions?

Thanks!!
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back