Suggestions for someone sucked into this money-sucking lifestyle
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 27
+1 for the Ultrasones. Don't know about the 580s, but rock and metal sound great on my 780s.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the Ultrasones. Don't know about the 580s, but rock and metal sound great on my 780s.

I couldn't really find any really obvious difference between the 580's and 780's. Can someone enlighten me?

Also, should I consider the ATH-AD700? They are much cheaper than, say, the d2000 and have plenty of good talk about them on head-fi.

One more question. I'm not much of a DIYer, so making a cMoy amp is unlikely. Would it be better for me to get a Fiio E5 or buy a pre-made cMoy?

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 27
I bought a Cmoy for about $40 out of curiosity. I can't really recommend it as a quality component for listening. It's seems more a novelty, but I think building one is a very good stepping stone for anyone interested in getting into DIY amp building.

There are headphones that will do well without a dedicated amp. Grado's are great unamped. I think my Beyer DT770Pro/80ohm are pretty good unamped, and the Beyer reputation for comfort is well deserved imo.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallensky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, should I consider the ATH-AD700? They are much cheaper than, say, the d2000 and have plenty of good talk about them on head-fi.

I've never heard the D2000, but the AD700 is my favorite phone in your price range.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallensky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music I typically listen to:
rock (metal, hardcore, grindcore, alternative, progressive)
electronica (house, psychedelic, ambient, trip-hop)
hip-hop

Budget: $275 max (this includes the cost of an amp if it's necessary)

Headphones for Rock, Metal and Hip Hop; JVC HA-RX700 $35
Headphones for Electronica: JVC HA-RX900 $55 or Denon AH D1001 $81.

A home amp set-up to get started with: Any good quality receiver or integrated amp, coupled with an equalizer (optional). Some casette decks allow for use as a headphone amp. Presently I'm using a Kenwood integrated amp and a Realistic EQ. Both of those were garage sale fodder @ $5 each, yet the combo makes for a very satisfying musical experience.

I do intend to get a dedicated headphone amp, but the one I want is upwards of $500. Given the economic uncertainty, I'll have to be satisfied with what i've got... and I am, happily.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #22 of 27
So far, the list I have is as follows:

Denon D2000
ATH ad700/a700 (I'm a fan of closed but I've heard that the ad700 is much better.)
HFI-580/780 (I'm still unable to find any siginificant difference between these two models and would appreciate any info)

I ruled out the Alessandro's simply because I don't have enough experience in DIY cables/amps and buying them would probably send me over my $$ limit.
However, once I graduate, I will start building my first cMoy amp but I doubt that that will be sufficient for the Alessandro's - would I be wrong?

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 27
I'd say no to the D2000. Your music wants good bass, that's fast, responsive. D2000 bass is flabby and bloated.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #27 of 27
I ordered an ATH-AD 700 and an fiio e5 amp to start out with since this only cost me about $100. As I mentioned previously, once I greaduate I will start some DIY projects (D2000 and Alessandro ms1). Hopefully, the money I saved on this purchase will help out with the cables and spacers required for those cans.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back