Suggestion: portable headphones or alternative to IEMs for travel purposes
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pietrone

Head-Fier
Dear everyone,

I am hear looking for advice and suggestions.
I am like you a lover of good sound. In addition to this, I travel a lot, at least once per month I fly or take trains for hours. I had and enjoyed IEMs, however, things inside my ear canals are messing with my jaw and and now are a no-go, IEMs are not a viable option for me anymore. I am currently using a pair of m40x on-the-go, but they take too much space in the backpack.

Could you suggest something small and durable that could serve as a travel solution for audio? Ideally it has the best audio quality possible. However, it has to be at least decent, and it should be lightweight/small so that and tough enough to survive on the go and to be thrown in the backpack.

Please help me find a way to have reliable audio on the go, without messing up my health. thank you!

p.s. does anyone know about bone conducting? Is that any good or at least decent? I have thick and lenghty hair, would that cause an issue?

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 6
Dear everyone,

I am hear looking for advice and suggestions.
I am like you a lover of good sound. In addition to this, I travel a lot, at least once per month I fly or take trains for hours. I had and enjoyed IEMs, however, things inside my ear canals are messing with my jaw and and now are a no-go, IEMs are not a viable option for me anymore. I am currently using a pair of m40x on-the-go, but they take too much space in the backpack.

Could you suggest something small and durable that could serve as a travel solution for audio? Ideally it has the best audio quality possible. However, it has to be at least decent, and it should be lightweight/small so that and tough enough to survive on the go and to be thrown in the backpack.

Please help me find a way to have reliable audio on the go, without messing up my health. thank you!

p.s. does anyone know about bone conducting? Is that any good or at least decent? I have thick and lenghty hair, would that cause an issue?

Generally, if you fly or take trains, closed backed headphones or IEMs are still the best in terms of isolation.

Earbuds are an option (there are closer to open backed headphones), but they lack isolation, which may be an issue if you try to jack up the volume to overcome the outside noise (not safe for hearing health as such).

Bone conduction tech generally doesn't sound as refined as current day IEMs/headphones, most of them also have a sub-bass roll-off due to no seal, and we are also dealing with a lack of isolation, which isn't safe for noisy travelling IMO.

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Generally, if you fly or take trains, closed backed headphones or IEMs are still the best in terms of isolation.

Earbuds are an option (there are closer to open backed headphones), but they lack isolation, which may be an issue if you try to jack up the volume to overcome the outside noise (not safe for hearing health as such).

Bone conduction tech generally doesn't sound as refined as current day IEMs/headphones, most of them also have a sub-bass roll-off due to no seal, and we are also dealing with a lack of isolation, which isn't safe for noisy travelling IMO.
thanks.
So the only real "family" of audio equipment stays closed headphones. would you know the most portable and decent model out there?

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 6
thanks.
So the only real "family" of audio equipment stays closed headphones. would you know the most portable and decent model out there?

I'm not really into headphones nowadays and have sold most of my cans away. Apologies, but I hope someone can assist with a portable model to recommend you.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 6
For wireless the Sennheiser Momentum 3 or 4 sound great with well defined bass and no treble fatigue. The AKG K371 wired are terrific but the Bluetooth version isn't as good. The Sennheiser hd450 have epic noise cancelling if you need it, not as good sounding as the momentum, but they isolate against a leaf blower.
The Sony and Bose are ok, just not as detailed as the Sennheiser 3 or 4. The hard case is key to durability since the fold snug into it. I fit a power bank in with Velcro so you can have them recharging while in the hard case.
If budget allows the best I've heard is the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 carbon edition. Those use high quality protein leather unlike real leather in earlier versions if it makes a difference. The auto on/off when you put them on is handy, and those things charge fully in 13 minutes on a fast charger.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 6
For wireless the Sennheiser Momentum 3 or 4 sound great with well defined bass and no treble fatigue. The AKG K371 wired are terrific but the Bluetooth version isn't as good. The Sennheiser hd450 have epic noise cancelling if you need it, not as good sounding as the momentum, but they isolate against a leaf blower.
The Sony and Bose are ok, just not as detailed as the Sennheiser 3 or 4. The hard case is key to durability since the fold snug into it. I fit a power bank in with Velcro so you can have them recharging while in the hard case.
If budget allows the best I've heard is the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 carbon edition. Those use high quality protein leather unlike real leather in earlier versions if it makes a difference. The auto on/off when you put them on is handy, and those things charge fully in 13 minutes on a fast charger.
thank you dunring. How big and portable they are? I suspect that they would take perhaps the same amount of space as the m40x or is any of them super foldable or smaller? Saving space in the backpack would be my main goal if possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back