Suggestion and Autosuggestion in the Assessment of Audio Products
Mar 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:
Over the years I have seen in small ways how expectations (I am not sure it's classic auto suggestion but it's at least related)  effects my choices.  That's part of the reason I really try to do blind A/B or better yet, A/B/X testing when making final selections.  I know my expectations of equipment colors my assessment of it's sound quality.

Hi Mark.

Yes I think that expectations do feed into the suggestion/autosuggestion element of our perception.

In the mid 90s I became questioning of the whole Hi Fi business, after having followed and spent a lot of money on its many whims up to that time. I purchased expensive cables, I even purchased and still have an "audiophile" mains cable. There were powerful gurus fêted by the Hi Fi press who were saying that these were good things. When I plugged in my expensive cables I would hear the sonic differences which the gurus had said I would hear. Even though CD players had arrived in the 80s I did not buy one for some years because important gurus had condemned them as not being fit for listening to music.

In the early 90s I had, amongst other things, an expensive valve ("tubes" in US) amplifier with a separate valve regulated power supply, all kinds of stuff considered very cool at that time.

Then one afternoon I was spending some time with a friend who had a more modest Hi Fi. He had a respectable solid state amp with some nice budget speakers and a much cheaper turntable than mine. I'd taken some LPs around that I thought he might like. We listened to them and while listening to them, for some reason I suddenly had a thought that, in fact, my LPs sounded better on his system than mine. I listened carefully, and yes, the more I listened the more I realised that actually I was hearing everything so much better on his system.

I returned to my own system at home and I played my LPs. They didn't sound as good. I didn't tell my friend, but I was visiting him a lot as we had common musical interests and each time I played my LPs on his system, they sounded better.

The system I had constructed at home was built up on the expectations created by the "gurus" of the Hi Fi industry. The expectations had fuelled the belief that it was a better system. When I had been listening to it I was listening out for the things that I had been told I would hear. This had been happening below the conscious level.

Over the following years I sold that very expensive system and I have been very cautious about expensive audio stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back