Subjective vs measurements in the perception of sound quality
Aug 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #122 of 124
Great thread (except for the last few pages). I found it amusing that Crowbar was arguing how primitive the human brain is on the one hand, while on the other hand waxing lyrical about the great achievements of neuroscience.

It's also tempting to respond to the statement about having "nailed down" consciousness, but I find that endeavour tends to be like conveying the colour red to a blind person (before you say anything, yes, I'm aware that the physical correlates of the experience of colour are also evinced in the blind).

Back on topic, though, the site regarding memory distortion (here) was very interesting. The authours approach of subjective and objective measurement working together seems the best approach to me. Has anyone here built that amp? The schematic there seems to be partially incomplete.
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #123 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back on topic, though, the site regarding memory distortion (here) was very interesting. The authours approach of subjective and objective measurement working together seems the best approach to me. Has anyone here built that amp? The schematic there seems to be partially incomplete.
confused_face_2.gif

I totally agree. This memory distortion is highly interesting. I've tried CFP as input stage in a couple of different amps and it makes wonder to the sound, more than any other tweak. As predicted "normally" configured current mirrors on the LTP sounds absolute CRAP (50 - 100R emitter resistors). Output stage affects the sound less than input etc. What I would like to explore is CFP applied to the folded cascode design, with JFET input and bipolars as "slave transistor".

While I'm at it - this subjective thing - I'd like to say that choosing the right transistors for input, VAS and cascode stages determines if your amp will sound astonishing, dull or harsh, while the amp probably will measure exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back