Sub $200< (reference)headphones for a bedroom producer?
Jul 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 43
I thought you had already ordered:
What Me X3 has explained in posts 15 and 27 pretty much cover the main things to consider when choosing. Unfortunately, the only way to know which one you'll like best is to listen to both.

canceled, I'm a chicken and need to be 200% sure before I settle... and I'm still clueless.....q701 or k612... :frowning2:*

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #32 of 43
canceled, I'm a chicken and need to be 200% sure before I settle... and I'm still clueless.....q701 or k612... :frowning2:*

What's your music? Feel free to post a link or two, I can try them with my K702 and share a comment.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 43
The only way to be "sure" is to order them both, and return the one you like least. :)

+1

You can still change your mind a few minutes after returning one! =D

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #35 of 43
To the OP: To be real with you it doesn't matter what headphone you pick, it isn't going to be perfect. Especially when it comes to producing and mixing music. There will be a learning curve and a trial and error process in getting your work to translate to other systems regardless. 

For studio work you are looking for something that is going to be comfortable for long periods of time, relatively neutral, and fits your price range. Also, depending on what kinds of music you are going to be listening to and producing you might want something with a little more bass presence if you are making Electronic forms of music, for instance. 

I don't think you indicated your genres, it might help in focusing on narrowing down something better for your specific needs.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #37 of 43
  To the OP: To be real with you it doesn't matter what headphone you pick, it isn't going to be perfect. Especially when it comes to producing and mixing music. There will be a learning curve and a trial and error process in getting your work to translate to other systems regardless. 

For studio work you are looking for something that is going to be comfortable for long periods of time, relatively neutral, and fits your price range. Also, depending on what kinds of music you are going to be listening to and producing you might want something with a little more bass presence if you are making Electronic forms of music, for instance. 

I don't think you indicated your genres, it might help in focusing on narrowing down something better for your specific needs.

I disagree, producing hard hitting bass music on cans that colour the low end just makes you think your mix is doing a-o-kay when it's really just your headphones adding artificial bass..
What's your music? Feel free to post a link or two, I can try them with my K702
and share a comment.

https://soundcloud.com/trentcastofficial/trentcast-one-deep-take-2
https://soundcloud.com/loudmusic/quantize-dymethyltryptamine
https://soundcloud.com/maxoelectronic/crush
https://soundcloud.com/spagheddy/gimme-a-break

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #38 of 43
Tried your songs.

First:

In my view, mixing is not that simple as picking the 'right' headphone and let it do the job. Whatever headphone you finally pick, you'll have to understand its sound signature.

Some examples:
- AKG K/Q 701/2 have typically forward upper midrange (around 2 kHz)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 have slightly bright treble around 6 kHz - 9 kHz
- HD650 has slightly boosted bass and slightly recessed treble

Each headphone, even T1, even HD800, even SR009 has sort of a personality, and you must know it very well if you want to take full advantage of its potential.

More so, I think it's important to try the music in a typical system after mixing. With 'typical system' I mean, try your music with the kind of headphones and/or speakers that you think most of the consumers will be using for that music/genre.

Very little people (read no one) is picking Q701 or DT880 for dubstep, trance and so...
On the other hand there's plenty of people picking V-Moda M100, Yamaha Pro 500, Fidelio X2, Yamaha EPH-100 for those genres.
If you pick Q701 and make music that sounds great trough Q701, then your music will sound far too boomy on the V-Moda M100 pair of the more typical listener.

That's a decission you have to make at some point. Mixing electronic music for most consumers or mixing for a vast minority of (uber) (neutralish) audiophiles using K702 or Mr. Speakers Ether for dubstep/trance/etc.

If you aim to the massive consumer market, you still need the neutralish system (ie, Q701/DT880/K612) to pick up details and flaws but you also need to understand that you are looking for a slightly 'bass light' sound when you mix, so it will sound just right when someone plays it on a more typical system (headphones/speakers)

Tried the songs with K702 and DT880/250, both are very revealing headphones in their own fashion. DT880 is just a tad more extended at both ends which is good. There's always a trade off. While K702 sounds wider with better separation and placement, DT880 is not far behind and in exchange it's more neutral/uncoloured across the spectrum. DT880 is probably better for tonality, while K702 is better for soundstage.

Bass?
Both tight and defined.
DT880 is slightly fuller, while K702 is more on the dry side of things.
Sub-bass is just a tad more refined on the AKG to my ears, but can be slightly shy.

I wouldn't pick any of these headphones to just relax and play your music, although I would pick any of them for the mixing stage.
I think DT880 would be my pick, despite being less capable with soundstage due to its more extended response and more neutral upper midrange.

K612 Pro (same would apply to Sennheiser HD600) might fall between the two worlds, not sort of an analytical tool like K702 or DT880/250, but still neutralish, detailed, and hopefully closer to more typical systems (warmer).

As stated earlier, you can't go wrong with either.

You can think it this way, if you want a great tool, then go Q701 and remember to go back and forth between Q701 and a more typical (warmer and more forgiving) system to understand how music should sound on Q701 in order to sound great on a more typical setup.

If you want a very good tool that's also very good for listening pleasure and a tiny bit closer to the typical consumer system, then go K612 Pro. (I think this is a safe bet)

If your budget also allows DT880/250, it's also very nice for the task and worth considering. Very neutral across the board, more solid in construction than both AKGs and comes with the classic Beyer carrying case.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what to pick. Just don't get crazy trying to find a perfect solution, there's always a trade off.
You could have been enjoying a great pair of headphones all these days and you are not!

What are you waiting to join this wonderful crew?

dt880smile.png

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #39 of 43
I disagree, producing hard hitting bass music on cans that colour the low end just makes you think your mix is doing a-o-kay when it's really just your headphones adding artificial bass..
https://soundcloud.com/trentcastofficial/trentcast-one-deep-take-2
https://soundcloud.com/loudmusic/quantize-dymethyltryptamine
https://soundcloud.com/maxoelectronic/crush
https://soundcloud.com/spagheddy/gimme-a-break

I'm talking about cans that represent the low end as full as possible without too much roll off. Not colored cans. It's difficult to get bass right when it's not all that present. What you are talking about is true too, but at least those cans you can learn how to compensate for the coloration easier than with something that doesn't even really represent those ranges too well.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #40 of 43
  Tried your songs.

First:

In my view, mixing is not that simple as picking the 'right' headphone and let it do the job. Whatever headphone you finally pick, you'll have to understand its sound signature.

Some examples:
- AKG K/Q 701/2 have typically forward upper midrange (around 2 kHz)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 have slightly bright treble around 6 kHz - 9 kHz
- HD650 has slightly boosted bass and slightly recessed treble

Each headphone, even T1, even HD800, even SR009 has sort of a personality, and you must know it very well if you want to take full advantage of its potential.

More so, I think it's important to try the music in a typical system after mixing. With 'typical system' I mean, try your music with the kind of headphones and/or speakers that you think most of the consumers will be using for that music/genre.

Very little people (read no one) is picking Q701 or DT880 for dubstep, trance and so...
On the other hand there's plenty of people picking V-Moda M100, Yamaha Pro 500, Fidelio X2, Yamaha EPH-100 for those genres.
If you pick Q701 and make music that sounds great trough Q701, then your music will sound far too boomy on the V-Moda M100 pair of the more typical listener.

That's a decission you have to make at some point. Mixing electronic music for most consumers or mixing for a vast minority of (uber) (neutralish) audiophiles using K702 or Mr. Speakers Ether for dubstep/trance/etc.

If you aim to the massive consumer market, you still need the neutralish system (ie, Q701/DT880/K612) to pick up details and flaws but you also need to understand that you are looking for a slightly 'bass light' sound when you mix, so it will sound just right when someone plays it on a more typical system (headphones/speakers)

Tried the songs with K702 and DT880/250, both are very revealing headphones in their own fashion. DT880 is just a tad more extended at both ends which is good. There's always a trade off. While K702 sounds wider with better separation and placement, DT880 is not far behind and in exchange it's more neutral/uncoloured across the spectrum. DT880 is probably better for tonality, while K702 is better for soundstage.

Bass?
Both tight and defined.
DT880 is slightly fuller, while K702 is more on the dry side of things.
Sub-bass is just a tad more refined on the AKG to my ears, but can be slightly shy.

I wouldn't pick any of these headphones to just relax and play your music, although I would pick any of them for the mixing stage.
I think DT880 would be my pick, despite being less capable with soundstage due to its more extended response and more neutral upper midrange.

K612 Pro (same would apply to Sennheiser HD600) might fall between the two worlds, not sort of an analytical tool like K702 or DT880/250, but still neutralish, detailed, and hopefully closer to more typical systems (warmer).

As stated earlier, you can't go wrong with either.

You can think it this way, if you want a great tool, then go Q701 and remember to go back and forth between Q701 and a more typical (warmer and more forgiving) system to understand how music should sound on Q701 in order to sound great on a more typical setup.

If you want a very good tool that's also very good for listening pleasure and a tiny bit closer to the typical consumer system, then go K612 Pro. (I think this is a safe bet)

If your budget also allows DT880/250, it's also very nice for the task and worth considering. Very neutral across the board, more solid in construction than both AKGs and comes with the classic Beyer carrying case.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what to pick. Just don't get crazy trying to find a perfect solution, there's always a trade off.
You could have been enjoying a great pair of headphones all these days and you are not!

What are you waiting to join this wonderful crew?

dt880smile.png

Thak you, so so much man you literally helped me snap out of my ******* ******** psycho craze for the perfect can... I re-ordered the k612 and they will come in tomorrow I will definitely update everyone on how I'm liking them!

Btw I'll be upgrading from... I'm almost afraid of saying it............ logitech g930

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #41 of 43
And they're in! I'm so extremely happy with them! They're everything I expected and more! However they are, indeed, quite hard to drive... My scarlett 2i2 JUST about cuts it.

beautiful tonal balance, warm but clean low end; I love them!!

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 43
  And they're in! I'm so extremely happy with them! They're everything I expected and more! However they are, indeed, quite hard to drive... My scarlett 2i2 JUST about cuts it.

beautiful tonal balance, warm but clean low end; I love them!!

Nice to hear (read) that you like your new AKGs!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back