STUCK ON UPPER CASE CAPS LOCK!!!
Dec 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LevA

500+ Head-Fier
DAMN

HAD A GREAT START TO THE DAY UNTIL MY MACBOOK PRO WENT BERSERK
LAST NIGHT HAD A COFFEE ACCIDENT AND THOUGH I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE WAITED A COUPLE OF DAYS I JUST LEFT IT FOR NIGHT AS I NEED IT TO FINISH UP MY REPORT>>

THE LAST TWO HOURS MY CAPSLOCK SEEMS TO ONLY WORK ON UPPER CASE AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO I JUST CANT CHANGE IT TO LOWER CASE>>>CANT USE PERIOD COMA ETC AT ALL>>>

ANYONE EVER HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS??

THANK GOD THE COMPUTER IS STILL FUNCTIONING ENOUGH FOR ME TO DO BACKUP OF MY FILES BEFORE IT GOES TOTALLY CAPUT>>>

WORST PART IS STUCK ON A SMALL ISLAND AND DIFFICULT TO GET A REPLACEMENT THAT I WANT>>>>

AND I WAS HOPING FOR THIS COMPUTER TO LAST A COUPLE MORE MONTHS AND THEN UPGRADE WITH A NEW MACBOOK PRO THAT IS EXPECTED TO BE OUT AROUND APRIL>>>

HEEEEELLLPPPPP

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 14
Don't mean to make fun of your situation, but I can't help but laugh when I read it. Not because the problem is funny, but just because of the caps.
tongue.gif

On topic; so nothing happens when you press the caps lock button? If you press shift+letter, it should be lower case if it's stuck in caps, but that is definitely a hassle.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 14
cool.gif
 CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL SO I DON'T SEE HOW THIS IS A PROBLEM. JUST TURN IN THE PAPER ALL IN CAPS AND TELL THE TEACHER YOU COULDN'T BE BOTHERED BY BEING PART OF THE ESTABLISHMENT.

That being said I don't know how much I can say on this matter.  You have one of a few things wrong I would think.  The little plastic cup that hits the keyboard could be stuck, you could have coffee on it which is causing it to stick, or you fried your keyboard.  Now you say you can't use period, coma, etc.  Is it that the modifier is being placed or is it just not appearing?  So I guess my question is do you see > or nothing when you hit period?  If you see > then shift is stuck.  If you see (nothing) then I would have to go with keyboard is fried.

http://www.convertcase.net/

It's a neat little tool.  It may help some.  Doesn't seem to convert modified keys though (> to .).

Hope this helps some man.  Or if you can, find a usb keyboard and hook it up.  You might be able to set the keyboard up and it will send it's own signal that may have the correct settings.  Again, hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SWi6LlFGjk#t=0m10s

redface.gif

Edit: I actually just had a revelation: plug in a USB keyboard and push the caps lock key. Then unplug the keyboard.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 14
hey all,
thanks for the advice everyone but seems like i got the ability to use lower key now!!.
after leaving it shut for a couple of hours its sort of working better now. although the caps lock and shift button underneath are no longer working. 
still,  now i can use the shift button on the right hand side if i need upper case so better than before,  i suspect the coffee damage is there and will see how the computer manages in the next few days. hopefully it should stay like this and continue to work...

@earthpeople
no worries about laughing. i suspect i would be too if it didnt happen to myself..
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 14
True Story. One time I was sitting in my friends basement game room. We both had our MacBooks on our laps and were looking up jokes and riddles. He found a really funny joke right as I was drinking a HUGE glass of orange juice. Right as he said the punch line, the orange juice came cruisin' out of my mouth. The worst part, I got it ALL over HIS keyboard. 
eek.gif

Lucky me, he turned his laptop on its side immediately and it all just fell off, no damage done. To the computer at least. I got solid punch in the thigh! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 14
i agree the best thing to do is to turn it off, put it on its side and in front of a fan. and let it dry out a couple of days..

surprisingly my computer is doing well now with speed etc. and erratic typing has disappeared. 
though my caps, shift, ctrl, tab keys on the left hand side of the keyboard are not working..
not too fussed as i was planning to update as soon as the new macbook pros come out, so as long as it does basics till then I am fine with it..

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
LAST NIGHT HAD A COFFEE ACCIDENT

Was there sugar in the coffee?  Sugarized liquids get all sticky when spilled in keyboards and do more damage and more effort to clean.  If it was black coffee with no foofoo mixed in the prognosis for keyboard recovery is better.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Cheers to a functioning, er, semi-functioning keyboard.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:
LAST NIGHT HAD A COFFEE ACCIDENT

Was there sugar in the coffee?  Sugarized liquids get all sticky when spilled in keyboards and do more damage and more effort to clean.  If it was black coffee with no foofoo mixed in the prognosis for keyboard recovery is better.

no sugar, but being a big latte fan, more than half of it was milk..
eek.gif

...which I suspect definitely not good for computers...

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 14
The milk isn't good, but better than having extra sugar mixed in.

Spill a bit of a latte on a plate and let it dry overnight.  Look at the residue that is left.  That's what's stuck on the contacts and mechanical mechanisms under the keyboard.  The residue that is left is probably something that will partially flake away as it dries.

Now do the same with something with lots of sugar in it, like a soda or a double vente frappachino with syrup and whipped topping foofoo and chocolate sauce.  The thick sticky residue that is left is just evil for contacts and mechanical mechanisms.  The residue that is left will not rub away with use or flake away.  It's stuck to the contacts and is thick.  Bad combo.

Lesson there is to be very careful with sugary drinks near the computer keyboard.  And black coffee is better than mixed coffee drinks.  And just as a general rule black coffee is better (I'm a coffee snob) cause it tastes like coffee.  :wink:

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 14
italian style coffee all the way!!!! big coffee snob as well, with 3~4 cups a day 
eek.gif

hopefully the residue will go away as you said. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 14
You should have the option of getting the keyboard replaced if it doesn't sort itself out. It probably won't be as cheap or easy as my Thinkpad ($20/5 screws) but I'm sure it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back