Streaming Qobuz only, is UAPP enough, or better investing in a dedicated streaming device?
Jul 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tekunda

100+ Head-Fier
99% of my music is being streamed from Quobuz, via a cellphone and the UAPP app into a DAC/AMP.
I am very satisfied, but I have been asking myself recently, if investing in a dedicated streaming device like an Auralis Aries G2 would be a better, but far more expensive, solution?
Would I gain anything sound quality wise, by buying a streamer?

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes a dedicated streamer helps tremendously, and yes streamer quality does matter.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes a dedicated streamer helps tremendously, and yes streamer quality does matter.

A bit perfect TIDAL coming thru a V40/UAPP -> DAC/AMP is tremendously worse than a streamer of high quality and (presumably of high cost). OK, do you mind expounding on that?

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I am wondering the same, currently I also use an Android device with UAPP and bitperfect setting

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Streamers really do help. I added the Innuos Zenith Mk3, with the Phoenix, to my main rig. Definitely a noticeable improvement.

For my portable setup, I also recently added the 2go to my Hugo2, and the improvement was even more noticeable. The improvement actually surprised me.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 12
From a technical standpoint it should not make a difference, but then again the same goes for most cables, DACs, and even solid state amps. Many people here will say it does matter, though they will be unable to explain why.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 12
From a technical standpoint it should not make a difference, but then again the same goes for most cables, DACs, and even solid state amps. Many people here will say it does matter, though they will be unable to explain why.
I don’t know why gravity exists, but I know it affects me.

I don’t know why reclockers and streamers work, but I can hear the difference they make.

Throwing linear power supplies on your streamers and reclockers surely accounts for some of the improvements though.

Oh, and you gotta be joking about DACs. You can clearly hear improvements with some DACs over others.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 12
I started doing some research, and it seems virtually all streamers contain a DAC. Are there any that behave like an android that pass the signal onto to an existing DAC? I'm not interested in moving off my DAC.

I reset some settings on my android (v40) - no battery saver for Tidal and UAPP the key ones; then I clean it, shut off all apps, turn off all the other wifi items in the house. I ran a bunch of timing tests before and after, and got about 15% faster on up/down load, and about 7% better on "stabilty", ping went from 12 ms to 9 ms. Audible? Well Tidal stopped having failed buffering every 5 hours or so w/ MQA files, with that worry off my neck I certainly relaxed into the music more - sound change? Within the range of placebo, so - not clear. But its good for the mind anyhow.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I started doing some research, and it seems virtually all streamers contain a DAC. Are there any that behave like an android that pass the signal onto to an existing DAC? I'm not interested in moving off my DAC.

I reset some settings on my android (v40) - no battery saver for Tidal and UAPP the key ones; then I clean it, shut off all apps, turn off all the other wifi items in the house. I ran a bunch of timing tests before and after, and got about 15% faster on up/down load, and about 7% better on "stabilty", ping went from 12 ms to 9 ms. Audible? Well Tidal stopped having failed buffering every 5 hours or so w/ MQA files, with that worry off my neck I certainly relaxed into the music more - sound change? Within the range of placebo, so - not clear. But its good for the mind anyhow.

Most of the ones with a built-in DAC have an optical out that allows you to bypass the DAC and use your own.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Most of the ones with a built-in DAC have an optical out that allows you to bypass the DAC and use your own.

Hmm, thanks I should have figured that out, but now I have to consider the impact of a streamer + optical vs v40 + USB2.0 B

Last time i used an optical it was on an old Sony CD to the Gumby. Soft, rounded, indistinct - no match for the other 4 inputs from different sources (which did carry higher speeds granted).

I've read that if you get an expensive optical it can do 192/24, not just 96. I have a meh 'Forest' by AQ somewhere, and a Blue Jeans cheapie - reckon they won't do. 192/24 - That's the minimum I need for MQA.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 12
I use my iPad with the camera adapter to feed my Benchmark DAC1 USB. I use the Audioquest Carbon USB cable and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Qobuz has been a game changer for my system. I was always reluctant the subscribe to a pay service but with Qobuz now offering hi res for $12.50 a month, when paying annually, it’s a no brainer. Now I have the world at my fingertips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back