Streaming own music library from the cloud
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

starfly

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an extensive local music library which I so far would copy over to my phone and play locally. However, these days, with the eradication of microSD cards on almost every phone, getting an Android phone with 512GB of storage means getting a gigantic device (like a Galaxy S22 Ultra or Pixel 7 Pro), which I really don't want. Or the alternative is going for an iPhone 13/14 Pro with 512GB of storage, which is a much more manageable size, but not sure yet I want to switch to iOS.

So I'm wondering, is there a way to upload my own music library to a music streaming service or to some cloud service and then easily play it back on my phone wherever I am, including the ability to sync some of it to my phone for when I'm traveling and will not have a reliable internet connection.

Has anyone here done this and how?

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 15
Off the top of my head, I can think of two. One is Apple Music, I think it has a 100,000 song limit excluding iTunes purchases. There should be an android app now, I’m not sure how good it is though. There’s also a new Roon feature, ARC, Which will also do what you’re looking for, but it requires an always-on core (server) and that’s its own rabbit hole.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 15
Off the top of my head, I can think of two. One is Apple Music, I think it has a 100,000 song limit excluding iTunes purchases. There should be an android app now, I’m not sure how good it is though. There’s also a new Roon feature, ARC, Which will also do what you’re looking for, but it requires an always-on core (server) and that’s its own rabbit hole.
Ok, part of the reason I wanted to avoid the whole Apple route is that at least on itunes, you can't import the actual folder structure (I have all my music organized by Artist/Album/Song folder structure), and have to convert everything to playlists. I had once done that in the old iPod days, but don't want to go through all that hassle again.

And Roon, doesn't Roon require a subscription?

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd say give iBroadcast a try :wink:
Even the free account which has a 128kbps limitation isn't bad.
Thanks that looks interesting - and the premium tier is only $45 a year, so not too bad if I want to stream at 320kbps (which is all I need, it's more than good enough for portable needs).

I might upload a small part of my music collection to test it out. If it works well, it might mean I don't need to buy a 512GB phone anymore, and can do with 256GB.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks that looks interesting - and the premium tier is only $45 a year, so not too bad if I want to stream at 320kbps (which is all I need, it's more than good enough for portable needs).

I might upload a small part of my music collection to test it out. If it works well, it might mean I don't need to buy a 512GB phone anymore, and can do with 256GB.
You're welcome :)

I have a part of my library there (~6.4k tracks). The albums in need of "cleanup" (delete tracks I don't like, keep ones I like) are in my microsd. The already "clean" albums go to iBroadcast, ready for consumption.

The only thing they miss is something like WebDAV or SFTP support. They have an API but the 3rd party app needs to support that.

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 15
I have an extensive local music library which I so far would copy over to my phone and play locally. However, these days, with the eradication of microSD cards on almost every phone, getting an Android phone with 512GB of storage means getting a gigantic device (like a Galaxy S22 Ultra or Pixel 7 Pro), which I really don't want. Or the alternative is going for an iPhone 13/14 Pro with 512GB of storage, which is a much more manageable size, but not sure yet I want to switch to iOS.

So I'm wondering, is there a way to upload my own music library to a music streaming service or to some cloud service and then easily play it back on my phone wherever I am, including the ability to sync some of it to my phone for when I'm traveling and will not have a reliable internet connection.

Has anyone here done this and how?
I think you will have to create a library on the music streaming platform. You can't upload your library on it.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Plex media server + Plexamp!

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 15
or you can build a stream server with something like raspberry pi. Cheapest option as the only cost is for static IP from ISP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back