Streaming Device Options
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mfer

Head-Fier
So my setup is as such.

I have a work mac that I'm on the entire day. I don't want to stream from it as I'm on customer VPN/Network. When I'm not in meetings I want to stream music. So which device?

My setup is
Asgard 3 Dac and HF amp
I have a usb 3 KVM switch so I can more than one USB input to the DAC

I have in the same room
High end PC (high power, water cooled, it is my night time use case, gaming, researching, etc)
I have old ipad
I have my iphone

I don't like having my iphone in a constant charging state as it degrades battery. The camera adapter requires a power source to use the DAC/AMP.
So I have that old ipad. I technically gave this to my son, but it is due for an upgrade.
I could buy a second monitor and hook up my high end PC and run it all the time, but I don't like the idea to be honest. It generates heat and is a power monster. Just wears it out a bit I feel.

So, I'm thinking of a dedicated streamer to be my second input.
Should I get a new ipad m1 and hook it up? Is the audio better than the older ipads? Maybe I should give my son the new m1 ipad and I use the old one as it is constantly on power.

Are there better options that I can use as a mostly dedicated, constantly plugged in streamer (qobuz)?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Or try a Roon Nucleus if you like using Roon.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a newish iPad mini 5th generation to be precise. I am using this with Amazon HD and can't really fault it.
It goes out via the camera adaptor to my Qutest then on to my headphone amp and headphones.
The Qutest indicates it gets upscales 24 bit 192 kHz sound coming from it. I've been looking at alternatives to the iPad but haven't found anything that would provide a significant upgrade in the sound quality so I'll be interested in anyones opinion.

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Just to add I've found an upgrade at a bit of a cost but I've just bought the Auralic Aries G1 it is capable of utilising my Amazon HD music content and internet radio so should be interesting

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 7
A bit of a cost! :) @DJW50

Nice
Yes it is, but the results are truly wonderful. Took me a while to set it up as I'm not the world's fastest computer type system guy, but boy does it sound good. My Amazon HD content has never sounded so good. In fact yesterday I just sat and listened for about 5 hours and will do the same today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back