Straigh No Chaser drummer...
Nov 17, 2001 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Ok, just talked to Jude and he confirmed my hunch. Tonight I saw a jazz trio (the Kenney Barron Trio) at school, and the drummer is named Ben Riley. In the program it mentioned he played with Monk in the '60s, so I thought "Hey, maybe he was on Straigh No Chaser!". Jude confirmed it, so I'm excited. He was amazing, and he's 68 years old... can't imagine what he was like in his prime. Anyway, just ordered Straight No Chaser on SACD, so it'll get here about the time my 333ES does. Can't wait to hear his work on that... So exciting to find something like this out!

Nov 17, 2001 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

just ordered Straight No Chaser on SACD, so it'll get here about the time my 333ES does

You're in for a treat
wink.gif
I have that SACD, and it's a gem. One of my favority musical possessions!

Nov 18, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Ok, just talked to Jude and he confirmed my hunch. Tonight I saw a jazz trio (the Kenney Barron Trio) at school, and the drummer is named Ben Riley. In the program it mentioned he played with Monk in the '60s, so I thought "Hey, maybe he was on Straigh No Chaser!". Jude confirmed it, so I'm excited. He was amazing, and he's 68 years old... can't imagine what he was like in his prime. Anyway, just ordered Straight No Chaser on SACD, so it'll get here about the time my 333ES does. Can't wait to hear his work on that... So exciting to find something like this out!

It seems like the older some musicians get, the better player they become.

Case in point, I saw Jimmy Smith(famous organist) at age 76 recently and it was the best show I ever went to.

I saw Ray Brown(bassist w/ Oscar Peterson trio) recently and he played well as I had ever heard him.

Don't pass up the oportunity to see some these great musicians before they are gone, you won't regret it.

Nov 18, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 4
Among the drummers and bass players that played with Monk, a master of rhythm and harmony, are many of my favorites. Drummers included the already heralded Ben Riley (You also can hear him and Kenny Barron in the superb group, Sphere.), Roy Haynes, Max Roach, Shadow Wilson, and the often underrated and overlooked Frankie Dunlop. Bassists included Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, and Ahmed Abdul-Malik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back