Stethoscope for cardiology
Mar 18, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had firsthand experiences with both the Littman Cardio III and the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite?

These seem to be the two most commonly recommended stethoscopes. Most people at my school have the Littman, but rumors are that it has muddy bass.

Does anyone who's tried both have an opinion?

Havent used either, but have used some of the ADC 600s. I have a 603 myself, and it is quite nice for its price. They may not be as popular as Welch or Littman, but they definatly have comparable quality for the price that you can get them at. Welch and Littman seem to have alot more overhead compared to ADC, which is probably why they are more popular and expensive than ADC. I have a few ADC products as well, all quality built.

I would say do the choosing like you would with headphones, find a place with a good return policy and buy all 3, then return 2.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the Littman Cardio III woodied? ...hmm, that might tell the story.

muddy bass, are you serious Clark?

(sorry I couldn't resist)

haha!

I know it sounds silly but this is actually a pretty significant investment for me $150+ that I'll use for the rest of my life. Kind of like a good pair of headphones.

Time to convince Larry to get into the huge medical devices industry...

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent used either, but have used some of the ADC 600s. I have a 603 myself, and it is quite nice for its price. They may not be as popular as Welch or Littman, but they definatly have comparable quality for the price that you can get them at. Welch and Littman seem to have alot more overhead compared to ADC, which is probably why they are more popular and expensive than ADC. I have a few ADC products as well, all quality built.

I would say do the choosing like you would with headphones, find a place with a good return policy and buy all 3, then return 2.

Hmm thanks for the recommendation. The ADC is quite a bit less expensive indeed. I will look into this.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Hmm thanks for the recommendation. The ADC is quite a bit less expensive indeed. I will look into this.

yea, ADC Manometer vs Baum - $60 vs $120. I have had both for a short time, and kept ADC due to build quality. ADC is much more solid than the Baum, and was much cheaper. Have stayed with ADC since.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

pretty significant investment for me $150+ that I'll use for the rest of my life.

What makes you think these things last that long? My Litmann Cardio III broke last year. The actual working parts last, but the PVC tubing cracked where the Y section is. Frankly, most of these things have comparable sound, even the cheapo $45 Litmann Select.

If you have high aspirations and want bragging rights, check out the Litmann 3000 Electronic Stethoscope with:
"Amplification up to 18 times greater than the best non-electronic stethoscopes..
Ambient Noise Reduction Technology (ANR)."
Littmann 3000 Electronic Stethoscope with Ambient Noise Reduction
It's on sale right now at $258.99, which would get you a decent IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

allheart1989147621423dels1.jpg

litt3000noisereduction2wj2.jpg

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think these things last that long? My Litmann Cardio III broke last year. The actual working parts last, but the PVC tubing cracked where the Y section is. Frankly, most of these things have comparable sound, even the cheapo $45 Litmann Select.

If you have high aspirations and want bragging rights, check out the Litmann 3000 Electronic Stethoscope with:
"Amplification up to 18 times greater than the best non-electronic stethoscopes..
smily_headphones1.gif

But they do last a while right? I think Littman has a refurbishing program for like $40 where they make it like new or give you a new one.

Haha that electronic one is nuts. I can't really afford it though. Might as well hook a Shure PTH up to a cheap stetho somehow.

I think I'm going to order the ADC 603 actually and try it out.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 15
The Cardiology III will do just fine.

I believe that's the one my mom has had for years...

But then again, it's a stethoscope, is there really that much you need to care about perfect sound quality? It's either thump, thump-thump, or ----.

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

But they do last a while right? I think Littman has a refurbishing program for like $40 where they make it like new or give you a new one.

Haha that electronic one is nuts. I can't really afford it though. Might as well hook a Shure PTH up to a cheap stetho somehow.

I think I'm going to order the ADC 603 actually and try it out.

Good choice. Make sure to look around for prices, got mine on eBay new for $20 or something like that. If you get them make sure to try different tips on them, crucial for sound.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cardiology III will do just fine.

I believe that's the one my mom has had for years...

But then again, it's a stethoscope, is there really that much you need to care about perfect sound quality? It's either thump, thump-thump, or ----.

Lol I know you're just joking, but being able to hear clearly down below 80hz actually is very useful for diagnosising murmurs and other conditions. Clearly, it's 95% skill and 5% stethoscope quality, but I'll take any help I can get.

Ironically bassless Grados would probably lead to more _________________
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I have to say, after using one of these for a while, I don't know how I ever listened to a non-amped stethoscope. Even if it is not your first quality scope, pick one up at some point.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 15
What did you end up going with, and how do you like it?

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 15
I went for the Littman Master Cardiology.. I felt it picked up better than the Cardio III and it had the luxury of going bell/diaphragm with the use of mere pressure.

What did you end up with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back