Stereophile: Stax, HP1, and K1000 (partial reprint)
Dec 10, 2001 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, below is a summary of what Stereophile/John Atkinson thinks of the Stax Lambda Pro, Grado HP1, and the AKG-K1000. These words appeared in a 'follow up' report and not a full length review, though in that same issue, Gary Gallo does do a full review of the HP1's. Of course he loves them. Who wouldnt?
On with the show: (note that the K1k cost $895 when this was written)

Stax Lambda Pro: "clean low frequencies and retrieval of midrange detail" "..it could never be said that these were dull sounding cans however, as well as an elevated mid treble region, which somewhat accentuates tape hiss, their sound can sometimes become a bit steely; some audiophiles attrribute this to the solid state amplifier." "Nevertheless, the ease of the Lambdas sound, coupled with their spacious presentaion of recorded acoustics and comfortable fit on the head, make for long term listening pleasure."

Grado HP1: "Turning immediately to the beautifully made Grado after the Lambdas makes the dynamic cans sound shut-in in the mid and high treble by comparison." "I agree that the HP1's tonal balance is warmer, darker, than the Stax. After comparing the two headphones on a number of different kinds of music however, I found their overall smoothness to become quite addictive. Voices, in particular, were reproduced with a seamless, natural quality. Despite the electrostatics reputation for low bass, I actually found the Grados low frequencies to be both cleaner and subjectively more powerful. LF pitch definition, too, was a little better with the dynamic cans."

AKG-K1000: "..with the headphones correctly sited, the K1000 had a big, open sound that was extremely enjoyable. There was a freedom from sonic strain that actually proved a liability: I tended to play the music far too loud for long term aural safety!" "Bass reproduction was surprisingly powerful, given the K1000's unbaffled construction." "..in comparision to the Lambda the electrostatics could be heard to have more extended low frequencies, with an overall warmer midrange balance that emphasised the AKG's residual nasality." "I found the open quality to the AKG's presentation made the conventional headphones sound very closed in by comparison."

And the final thoughts by JA: "Its in comparison with the significantly less expensive Grado's that the AKG's come under severe competition. While the American cans dont equal the Austrian cans sound stage presentation, they have better defined, more extended low frequencies and a more neutral midrange." "I could certainly be happy living with any of these high performance headphones. Each has its own peculiar combination of strengths and weaknesses." "I can just imagine the ultimate phone: the midrange liquidity, bass slam, and low treble neutrality of the Grados coupled with the extreme HF extension, midrange transparency, retrieval of detail, and comfort of the Lambdas, to which has been added the AKG's superb spatial presentation."

Dec 10, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey, I could have told you that!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Seriously, thanks for the good work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back