Stax SRS-4040 interconnect advice
Aug 15, 2001 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jenneth

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently bought the Stax SRS-4040 headphone set, needless to say the quality is unparallel to anything I've ever heard. However, it soon became clear that I need a new pair of interconnect, as well as a new CD player. Can anyone give me any suggestion(s). I'm thinking of going with either the Kimber Select 1121 or 1130 interconnect cable, but they are a little out of my price range. As with the CD player, I've heard good things with California Audio Labs' CL-15. I appreciates any helps.

Jenneth

Aug 16, 2001 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Jenneth,

Congrats on your new toy (Stax SRS-4040).
smily_headphones1.gif

You've just attracted the Stax disease. Since acquiring my Stax system, I'd been on the quest in searching for the 'missing link' to fulfill my musical enjoyment. Of all headphones (ER4S, RS-1 and HD600), the Stax 'phones are by far the most sensitive of the bunch. Here are some cables I've tried: Audioquest(Opal), Kimber Kable KCAG, FMS(Nexus), Harmonic Tech(Silway II), Analysis Oval(Silver) and Stealth M-7. After trying quite a few cables, I ended going for the Granite Audio 470 XLRs:
http://www.graniteaudio.com/cable/page4.html(you can click on the RCA model for their single ended cable).

The Granite cable is made of silver in a process using slow drawn continuous casting to achieve "single-crystal structure". This process is similar to the cables connected to Omega II with an exception of pure copper. Aside from Audioquest and FMS, all other cables are made of silver. In my experiences, silver cables incorporated speed, transparency and details while copper cables exhibited some of those qualities with an overall warmth and perhaps smoothness to the sound. As for the Granite's, it rendered all the qualities of silver cables are known for without the silvery brightness.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe JohnActon has the Kimber Select 1030 for his 4040 and prefer this cable over many others he has tried. Good lucks searching for your cables.

Aug 17, 2001 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi headster, thanks for the reply.

The Granite Audio 470 XLRs cables does look good (specs-wise), it'll probably come down to that or the Kimber Select 1121.

BTW, did you know that Stax just came out with a new earspeaker (Stax 4070), it's a closed electrostatic headphone, retail for 125,000 yen ($1250). I wonder how the SR-404 measure up against that one.

Jenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back