Stax SRA-14S Ebay
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
Was watching and hoping on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=110646391500&si=R5J%252BS5KMENhQPNnfd4Gra5hGyck%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Saw this model before on the internet and to me is the best looking Stax amp out there. It reminds me of the looks of Alpine car stereos back in the day. Very square and sharp and after
that I think it was called "new wave" style. I looked up as much as I could on this amp but it is so rare that there isn't as much info as many others. I read that the amp section is the same
as the SRM-1/Mk-2. I would guess that the sound would be better because it has a beefier PSU that is even an R-core transformer. Looks very very complicated from the inside pics.
I was wondering if when using the earspeakers if the preamplifier section is in the mix or is that only when using it as line out?

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 8
No I didn't get it. The price was fairly high but must be worth it to whoever bought it. I was thinking about putting one more bid even at the final price because it will probably be a while till another one comes up.
I mostly wanted it for its great looks but after seeing that the amp section is the same as the SRM-1/MK-2 I was guessing that sound quality would probably be somewhat close? That and I don't  need the phono section but I bet most people don't need both MM and MC anyway.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 8
I've yet to rip one of these apart but from the pics I've seen the PSU is the same capacitor filter as the SRM-1 Mk2 but the lack of proper heatsinks could have made Stax decrease the standing current of the output stage. 

Ohh and those selector switches Stax used don't age well. 

May 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 8
spritzer,

does that mean you would like to take one apart and restore it? I have on and it has a problem with one og the channels.
Any idea about the pricing for an overhaul?

Are there any problems sending amps around with customs?

REgards Georg

PS: I'm not joking - I really think about getting the unit restored.

May 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Saw this model before on the internet and to me is the best looking Stax amp out there. It reminds me of the looks of Alpine car stereos back in the day.

Dying small town in the middle of nowhere New Mexico summer of 1969. Nothing but farm trucks, football, West Texas Jesus, and endless choking heat.

You and your buddies, all 17, and all outsiders of the high school social hierarchy, have just spent another Saturday night cruising what passes for the main drag in your "hand-me-down" Ford Falcon station wagon. As usual, all attempts to communicate with the opposite sex have been bluntly rebuffed.

Your're about to give up and head for home when you meet someone's older brother just back from Army basic training. He's already well drunk and generously offers your group a couple of warm six packs of "Lucky Lager". One of your friends produces a wizened little joint of stems and seeds. The mood lightens a bit.  You abandon the cruising and drive a couple of miles  outside of town down an isolated farm road. Under the stars, you and your buddies split the beers and pass the joint around. You've got the new Zeppelin on the Alpine 8 track you bought with your grandparents Christmas money. Suddenly, the Alpine goes nuts and starts spewing tape all over the front seat. $3.98 and a "Whole Lotta Love" down the drain! It's already eaten your Steppenwolf and Iron Butterfly, and you're left with nothing but Vanilla Fudge and The Association!  Everybody groans, curses, and stares accusingly at you. You shrug sheepishly, but there's nothing to be done.  Reluctantly you turn the Falcon around.  Nobody talks on the way home, but inwardly you vow that someday life will be different.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back