Stax SR-007s Mk2s with Audio Note DAC and Mac Mini - system photos
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
Hi All

I have had Stax headphones for years, and always seemed to use them periodically, never enough in my view.

So, having upgraded my trusty Lambda Nova Signatures and SRD6 to some SR-007 MK 2.5s and a SRM-717 amp, I decided to install them permanently in the studio where I spend most of my time.

Here are some photos of the stainless steel desk I had made down the boat yard, and some local Granite for the top.

From the front the system looks pretty neat. On the overhead shots you can see it is a bit of a jungle, an M2Tech EVO and seperate Clock, plus power supply nested next to a Mac Mini and firewire external drive. I am using Audirvana+ with iTunes, and am very happy with the sdund.

For DAC I use an Audio Note 3.1 kit with tubed power supply and Tungsol 5687 output board, fed into an Audio Note (factory UK unit) M3 Pre amp, then into a Stax SRM-717. I find the tubed DAC tames CD sound and makes it very organic / close to good vinyl.

And having the M3 pre amplifier before the Stax amp gives it more wallop and bass extension. Somehow it seems to give the Stax amp more to work with. I tried it direct and the Stax amp sounded thin and lifeless.

I also run a pair of SET monoblocks powering speakers from the pre amplifier, but at the moment I consider the Stax the main system. I really like the SR-007s, detailed yet smooth, deep and powerful but taught and not boomy. I have noticed with headphone listening with dynamic phones, even good ones, they sound good at first, but my ears soon tire of the boom and treble edge. Stax however just give me MUSIC. I love them!

Hope you enjoy my humble system photos!

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 2
Looks so nice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back